Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Been checking these other Frameworks -- nothing as good as CI (so far)

[eluser]CI2RULZ[/eluser]
understand why frameworks first... It's not about performance on any level, and there is nothing wrong at all about using procedural php. PHP frameworks are often over used in scenarios where it's not justified or fits the project at all. Can you use MVC patterns without a framework... yes. Can you use classes without a framework... yes. So why use a framework? It's all about reusing code that experts have already debugged and tested for you, and for those new to php, following a methodology so you have direction and guidelines. To use an analogy, do you want to build a car and drive it, or just know how to drive it? frameworks let you drive the car. Is that a good thing, in my experience the answer is both yes and no. I've hired kids that are php OOP wizards and love frameworks... ask them to write a simple procedural based php script without class/framework help, and they can't code their way out of a paper bag. Frameworks make coders lazy, and new coders co-dependent, but that's for another discussion.

Now understanding the why... which one would you choose? Well, that answer is very very simple. Ask yourself...
1. is it simple to use / are you building website faster when you use it?
2. is it well documented?
3. is it well supported?
4. does it perform well?

my scorecard:
codeigniter - 0 nos
zend - 1 no - not simple
cakephp - 1 no - performs poorly
yii - 2 nos - not simple and so-so documentation
kohona - 2 nos - not simple and documentation is never up to date
symfony - 2 nos - not simple and poor documentation
anything else - probably even more nos than then these, and the above are the most popular

CI is by far the easiest to use, easiest to understand, easiest to implement in almost any hosting situation, it's very well documented, and very well supported on a community and commercial level. Does that mean you should pick CI, no, but unless you can overcome the inadequacies of the other frameworks, then they will slow your project development rather then speed it up, and there's no point in that.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB