Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter Status

[eluser]dag[/eluser]
Hi all,

some time, about half a year, ago i used ci very frequently and i liked it a lot.
now i have to make a decision about wether to use ci for a new, big project but i'm not sure
because i can't really say wether the framework is still evolving or kind of stagnating.

there is some activity in the forum but not much changes in the wiki section. ci version is still 1.7.1 .is ellislabs working on 1.7.2 and if, when it is about to be released?

really would like to bet on ci again but can't assess where its evolving in the future, searched for a projecttimeline or sth. but did't find one...

thanks in advance for any helpful advices
dag

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Hi dag,

What do you want to do that 1.7.1 won't do?

1.7.2 is probably happening Real Soon Now, once the new rev of EE is released I'd guess, but I don't see this as a compelling reason to not use the existing version. Is there a fine line in your mind between stagnation and stable? For me I'd interpret the lack of any security concerns over the current codebase as a positive sign, rather than a worrying one.

[eluser]dag[/eluser]
hi jedd,

thanks for your reply! your absolutely right in what your are saying.
1.7.1 is fitting all me needs an even more... BUT.. in my opinion, what makes a framework valuable beyond its functionality is a lively community.
when i visited the forum, wiki about half a year ago i had that feeling that there are many people who are very interested in pushing the framework.
nowadays i don't have that feeling and i am interested if anyone feels the same or if i just have to spend more time again with ci to get that feeling back ;-)

thanks for reading

dag

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
As jedd mentioned with EE build on CI around the corner the changes to CI are almost frozen until EE is launched. I think the community holds his breath until that CI version will be accessible.

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
I was hopping that EE would also be free ... like CI
but in their site it is listed as $295
Price info at:
http://expressionengine.com/overview/pricing/

Therefore ..... in a way EE is not really an update of CI

With so many PHP frameworks around, would it not be limiting the growth of EE to charge a huge fee?

Unless .... its list of features, to php programmers, those who are pros, feel it is worth its price.

I just wish it was offered to free.

not debating, just putting in my 2cents in

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Quote:Therefore ..... in a way EE is not really an update of CI

Well, EE is a commercial product built on the free, open source CI framework. EE drives the development of CI. EE is not an update of CI, but it runs off an updated CI.

And if you think $295 is too much for a license for quality software, you gotta be kidding me. Besides, you can download it and play with it for free.

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
[quote author="Colin Williams" date="1246071397"]
Quote:Therefore ..... in a way EE is not really an update of CI

... And if you think $295 is too much for a license for quality software, you gotta be kidding me. [/quote]

You know I am not an expert

so as such I cannot comment on its value
I never said it was too much

all I said is that it is not (1) an update of CI, and that (2) also not free,
and (3) only the pros would know if it is worth a price

btw...

how does CI and EE compares to Yii ??
is EE in the same level as Yii?

wonder if anyone here knows

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
[quote author="JPrieto" date="1246071870"]
how does CI and EE compares to Yii ??
is EE in the same level as Yii?

wonder if anyone here knows[/quote]

You can't compre EE and Yii, they're 2 completely differant things
EE is a CMS, Yii is a framework

[quote author="Expression Engine" date=""]Say hello to the most flexible web publishing system you'll ever meet.

ExpressionEngine is a flexible, feature-rich content management system that empowers thousands of individuals, organizations, and companies around the world to easily manage their website. If you're tired of the limitations of your current CMS then take ExpressionEngine for a spin...[/quote]

[quote author="Yii" date=""]Yii -- a high-performance component-based PHP framework best for developing large-scale Web applications. Yii comes with a full stack of features, including MVC, DAO/ActiveRecord, I18N/L10N, caching, jQuery-based AJAX support, authentication and role-based access control, scaffolding, input validation, widgets, events, theming, Web services, and so on. Written in strict OOP, Yii is easy to use and is extremely flexible and extensible. [/quote]

[eluser]SpooF[/eluser]
EE is just a really fancy Wordpress if you want it straight and plain about it and I mean really fancy.

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
[quote author="SpooF" date="1246074205"]EE is just a really fancy Wordpress if you want it straight and plain about it and I mean really fancy.[/quote]

You should be ashamed of yourself Tongue .

And to answer the original question. It is still evolving, but the additions and changes that were made for EE have not yet been released to the general public. They will be rolled into CI in the future, I would suggest keeping an eye on the svn.

As for a roadmap - we learned the hard way not to publicly discuss those. It generates unnecessary hype and disappointment when deadlines aren't met. Always plan on what is available now, not what may come in the future.

Rest assured that CI will not be abandoned any time soon, there is some exciting stuff ahead.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB