Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
2.0 - seriously, whats taking so long?

[eluser]johnwbaxter[/eluser]
I think what is important to remember about CI is it's flexibility / customisation. If you want the url and html helpers to come under the same lib, all you have to do is copy the functions out of one into the other and drop it into the application/helper folder calling it MY_html_url_helper or whatever. Then it does what you want and there is no confusion. I don't have an awful lot of experience in other frameworks but it seems to me that CI is much easier to bend to my will and do what i want. That is the beauty of it.

What i have just suggested you do will survive a CI update from ellislabs as it's in your app folder and so will never get overwritten. In theory you should never need to modify the core to change something, you can always just extend.

Although, i think we're going off topic here...

[eluser]IvanBernat[/eluser]
[quote author="audiopleb" date="1246281873"]Although, i think we're going off topic here...[/quote]

That is a good idea, I see a lot of people doing alternative file structures like
Code:
system
application
public_html

This way, updating all about overwriting the system folder.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I have to agree with IvanBernat about the context of some of the functions, i just think the example is badly choosen. site_url produces a link without markup but anchor, anchor_popup, mailto, safe_mailto and auto_link do. The first two functions are arguable as they use the site_url function.

[eluser]GSV Sleeper Service[/eluser]
it's taking so long because Ellis Labs have decided to make CI2.0 compatible with php3.

for those with broken sarcasm detectors : this is a joke.

[eluser]jdfwarrior[/eluser]
You know... this is just my two cents.. but if the OP has soo much free time, just sitting around waiting on the next version if CI.. instead of whining about waiting on someone else, why dont you take some initiative and make your own framework?

Why do people like to complain so much about stuff thats given to them for free? I don't understand that. Boohoo, your helping me out because I'm lazy and dont wanna have to do stuff myself, but I think I need to whine about it some more.

Seriously. Shut up.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
jdfwarrior lets not degrade the conversation. For me the thing that troubles me the most is not being able to play with the new things that you know are going to be in it.

Normally updates/upgrades don't get announced so you don't know what to expect. But when they announced EE 2.0 it was mentioned there is going to be a library that generates javascript based on the popular javascript library api's. I write most javascript code myself but i'm curious how it's going to work.

I just wonder how big the influence of the community will be with the CI versions that run EE 2.0? A while ago they adapted a more open attitude towards the community but what if a change brings along changes in EE will the EL people make that change of will the ideas only flow from EE to CI?

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
[quote author="IvanBernat" date="1246280792"]As a CI newbie (and a CakePHP "expert") I find a lot of things missing/confusing.

E.g. why are the HTML helper and the URL helper separate? I think the (e.g.) site_url should go under the HTML helper (as it produces HTML?).

I also like Cakes way of dealing with forms, form_input for example in Cake would also add a label and a surrounding div. (I already forked the form helper to do this).

This are just two things I'd like to see in the next release :-)[/quote]

This is not something we should go into in great detail here as its rather irrelevant to the subject, but the reason URL and HTML helpers are different is that they do different things. URL helper does do some HTML creation but it also fetches URL data which is nothing to do with HTML.

Several of the CodeIgniter helpers can output HTML so I would not see that as a good way to group functions. Going down that road would lead to there being 3 helpers, string, html and math and they would be huge. Not a good idea.

Back to the subject, if you want more frequent updates, use the SVN repository. I have never had issues with that and it means I am kept up to date. If you find a bug, report it here and look at that, you just made CodeIgniter that little bit more stable and perhaps even sped up the release.

We all make mistakes on deadlines. I thought PyroCMS would be done months ago but then I discovered way more things that need doing. Confusedhut:

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
EllisLab announced ExpressionEngine 2.0 - they have never announced anything in regards to a new version of CodeIgniter (except that the next version will have some jQuery features added).

A new version of CodeIgniter will be released when it is ready and appropriate to do so, but don't hold the company to some arbitrary timeline that you feel is important. They've yet to promise you anything in regards to CodeIgniter.

The guys are extremely busy working on ExpressionEngine, that is undoubtedly everyone's focus in the labs right now. Once that is released - who knows what will see.

[eluser]Ty Bex[/eluser]
Michael is correct. Instead of asking for more of something that is free and open for the community to use and contribute, then maybe you should take time and contribute. I try to give what little time I have answering what I can in forums and working on some new solutions that I can share. CI is a great product and has suited my needs as framework and any enhancements are welcome.

Please take some time to learn to code with CI and you will find that it is great framework that you can build anything you want around it..

[eluser]macigniter[/eluser]
[quote author="Michael Wales" date="1246301960"]EllisLab announced ExpressionEngine 2.0 - they have never announced anything in regards to a new version of CodeIgniter (except that the next version will have some jQuery features added).[/quote]

jQuery... wooohoo!

I can just say that I don't have a problem to wait for the next version since CI is already the best framework out there. No other framework has such a short learning curve and provides such great flexibility. I just love it. As long as the next version has the same great documentation which is another huge reason for choosing CI I don't mind if it takes another month, half a year or year. Go out and build libraries if you miss a feature! (or help improving mine ;-))

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB