Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Approaching an auth solution, suggestions?

[eluser]spmckee[/eluser]
Greetings,

I am developing an admin system for my companies site that's already built in CI. I have investigated most of the auth systems offered here and can't seems to make any headway on moving in a definitive direction, especially after reading the compelling article here:

All I am looking for is a secure admin system that I can assign roles to. Users won't be signing up so the whole public experience won't be required.

Based on your experience, do any of the existing auth systems get close to what I need? I am willing to give "rolling my own" a shot although I'd love avoid that and work with a lightweight, prefab build for my first time out of the gate. Or perhaps to use an outside system like Zend_Auth, which looks good as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
SPAuth Comparison

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
I have never used any of those libraries, but I have heard that Zend ACL might be worth a look at.

[eluser]spmckee[/eluser]
Thanks for the input TheFuzzy0ne. What do you use?

I don't use any at the moment.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Oh, I thought you'd started to write your own?

I'm writing my own. They're not hugely complex (well assuming your needs are modest) and much easier to understand my own fairly unattractive code that does precisely what I want, than one of the very cleanly written existing auth packages that does lots of things I don't want / understand.

Well, it's hardly an ACL. I have 4 different status', hardcoded into my app:

User = 0
Admin = 1
Super Admin = 2, and
Owner = 3

That's it, since in this instance it's all that's required. Smile

[eluser]spmckee[/eluser]
Jedd, do you know of any resources I could check out to get started? I don't mind taking the same approach as yourself but I' m really at a loss on how to approach it correctly.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Could you have chosen three role names that didn't each suggest there was nothing more powerful than them? Wink

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB