Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Spammers, blech

(11-15-2014, 06:41 PM)ciadmin Wrote:
(11-15-2014, 06:27 PM)alroker Wrote: Moderation takes time that would be better spend doing something else and also impacts on legitimate users (I'm currently awaiting moderation).

In the past I have used StopForumSpam.com's API ...

Another thing I did for them for to setup a system to trap banned users...

That was a few years ago now, and the forum has since gone for other reasons. But if you want a hand setting something up, let me know and I'll be glad to help!

Moderation is a pain, but worthy. There has been a bit of backlash about having to wait for moderation, but most responses have been positive.

It looks like the required approved posts is working better in 1.8, where it didn't always seem to in 1.6.

We have StopForumSpam - that is one of the built-in plugins. It hasn't prevented spam attempts, but I don't know how many it rejected.

1.8 has a new "purge spammer" moderation tool, which is embarrassing easy to use Big Grin One click to bring it up for a spammer, one more click to eradicate them.

There are still 5 or so attempted spams each day that get through the current blocks, so I intend to keep the initial moderation in place.

I welcome your offer to help make the system more secure ... message me and we can compare notes!

If someone is a genuine user of the forum and they are planning to be here for the long haul, then a small amount of up front waiting is not a problem.

Thank you for your time and keep up the rapid response. Wink

If moderation will reduce (stop?) spam, I'm all for it. The delay is not earth-shaking and I don't use this forum for must-have-now support... That's what the User Guide is really for.

I like the new MyBB 1.8 format.
CI 3.1 Kubuntu 19.04 Apache 5.x  Mysql 5.x PHP 5.x PHP 7.x
Remember: Obfuscation is a bad thing.
Clarity is desirable over Brevity every time.

^+1

Totally agreed with oppinions.
But user rankings could make help in moderation.
Not just in moderation, but in discussion if currently online few active members.
Especially now when is expected activelly code improving in every way. After all, time is money.
Also, on EL CI forums, I always use report button of spam topics and/or messages. 
I didn't find it hard to report some 15-20 topics in a row. It is at least what every member can do. Wink

All the best in future work,

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2014, 09:27 AM by g3n1u5.)

- for the moderation!

IMO spam as well as trolls are part of the beauty of the web. Haters, sad people, etc too.

### FREEDOM OF SPEECH ###  NEVER FORGET ###

Don't get me wrong, I am against bots, and ad spam, all of them, angry, ill-behaved people can be punished and banned.

(11-10-2014, 08:58 PM)no1youknowz Wrote: Good job!

Yes, I agree.  So you don't get spam, keep the moderation in place.  

I'm not sure why people would complain.  Do we really need our postings to be live right away?  

What's the rush? Smile

(11-11-2014, 12:57 AM)Rufnex Wrote: Yes content over spam! Leave the trolls out there ;o)

Yes, we do need our posting to be live. In our line of work, we should be fast. As BF supposedly said: "Time is money"!

Best regards, 
g9m29

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB