Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Spammers, blech

I have had complaints with registered users needing moderation, so I turned off the plugin. What happens? Spam

Thank you, no1youknowz & insitefx for reporting the post. It is gone, the user banned, and the new posting approval plugin has been re-enabled.

I would rather have a few complaints about timeliness than spam!

Another member is tinkering with the plugin settings, so that we can get it working better and not block legitimate members posts Smile

Good job!

Yes, I agree. So you don't get spam, keep the moderation in place.

I'm not sure why people would complain. Do we really need our postings to be live right away?

What's the rush? Smile

Yes content over spam! Leave the trolls out there ;o)

ciadmin
Isn't there option to set client group restrictions so those who are active (not spammers) to not be delayed by that plugin?

Lets say 1st user group should be something as under 20 posts/replies approved - moderation required.
All over this user group can post with no delays.
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

For some reason this forum is also blocked for automatic posts on allready registered users

CodeIgniter Forums / General / News & Discussion

Could it be open for approved users?

Yes, there are options to control this. They don't seem to be working properly. The moderation seems to kick in longer than it should Sad

Yes, we could setup a group (with additional overhead), so that "approved" users can post freely. We cannot limit it to "registered" users, because the spammers are successfully registering and then trying to spread their messages.

I don't know if MyBB 1.8 will address this issue better ... I am testing the upgrade this week.

I am currently using the "Required Approval" plugin. Is there a different plugin that will do a better job?

Seems like certian sections in the forums I can post no problem in other sections it says my post will reviewed. So maybe it is a setting in the specific forum section permissions?
PurdyDesigns Website Design, Development. Also Including Web Hosting. Print Media, server deployment and management, and more!

(11-12-2014, 04:12 PM)Shawn P Wrote: Seems like certian sections in the forums I can post no problem in other sections it says my post will reviewed. So maybe it is a setting in the specific forum section permissions?

I am in the same position.

It doesn't really matter to me, as I am only being helpful, but as we grow, this could start to be a huge overhead for the admin team.

I ran a BB system for a client and this was a big issue for us. It was a few years ago now and I imagine the software is more sophisticated, but keeping the comments "pure" is hard.

Moderation takes time that would be better spend doing something else and also impacts on legitimate users (I'm currently awaiting moderation).

In the past I have used StopForumSpam.com's API to very good effect on a once very busy forum. The forum was well moderated, but due to it's popularity it was not practical to moderate all new member posts. However, in the end, despite already having captcha and trying other stuff like geo IP filtering etc, they were getting hundreds of spam posts every day, peaking at about 800 or so. I setup a query through StopForumSpam from the forum's registration system, and made a score based on the result which the system used to automatically make a decision whether to complete the registration or show a spammer a message saying that new members weren't be accepted at the moment. That instantly fixed the issue and over night the daily spam count went from around 800 to just 1 or 2, with no drop in membership or any reported impact on legitimate users. From what I remember it just involved registering for an API key, and writing a few lines of code.

Another thing I did for them for to setup a system to trap banned users so that if they were banned while they were still logged in or they subsequently logged in, they would see an error page where ever they went, and would not be able to log out, which meant they could not re-register with a fresh user name and email. OK all they had to do was delete their cookies, but it's easier for them to just move on to the next forum. It worked very well as an idiot repellent!

That was a few years ago now, and the forum has since gone for other reasons. But if you want a hand setting something up, let me know and I'll be glad to help!

(11-15-2014, 06:27 PM)alroker Wrote: Moderation takes time that would be better spend doing something else and also impacts on legitimate users (I'm currently awaiting moderation).

In the past I have used StopForumSpam.com's API ...

Another thing I did for them for to setup a system to trap banned users...

That was a few years ago now, and the forum has since gone for other reasons. But if you want a hand setting something up, let me know and I'll be glad to help!

Moderation is a pain, but worthy. There has been a bit of backlash about having to wait for moderation, but most responses have been positive.

It looks like the required approved posts is working better in 1.8, where it didn't always seem to in 1.6.

We have StopForumSpam - that is one of the built-in plugins. It hasn't prevented spam attempts, but I don't know how many it rejected.

1.8 has a new "purge spammer" moderation tool, which is embarrassing easy to use Big Grin One click to bring it up for a spammer, one more click to eradicate them.

There are still 5 or so attempted spams each day that get through the current blocks, so I intend to keep the initial moderation in place.

I welcome your offer to help make the system more secure ... message me and we can compare notes!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB