Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
PHP Safe Mode

[eluser]deco10[/eluser]
I realize this question is a little bit general to PHP rather than CI, but I have a lot of faith in this forum so I'm posting it here. I hope that is ok.

Is it safe to disable PHP safe mode? I've been told that its basically useless anyway.
Thoughts?

Thanks!

[eluser]Johan André[/eluser]
Safemode is intended to ensure security in a shared hosting enviroment. You should disable safemode if possible as it can create some weird behavior when uploading files (via php).

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Safe-mode can also prevent you from accessing anything outside of your Web root, which can often be a real painus in the anus.

Excerpt from the [url="http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.safe-mode.php"]PHP manual[/url]:
Quote:The PHP safe mode is an attempt to solve the shared-server security problem. It is architecturally incorrect to try to solve this problem at the PHP level, but since the alternatives at the web server and OS levels aren't very realistic, many people, especially ISP's, use safe mode for now.

So basically, if your Web host knows their stuff, the server will be secured as the OS level (with things such as chroot), and PHP safe mode will be disabled.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB