Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Starting the game

[eluser]nZac[/eluser]
So if you have seen my earlier post, I am starting work on my first major CI project. I want to create an advanced online game that uses real world trends in financial markets and weather to influence a network of airlines. In short a Tycoon style game but on a much broader scale.

My question is where do I start? Should I mess around with CSS and HTML to create a design? Start with the database and think about structure, or work on basic controller IO?

I have never created a game before and have no experiece with this large of an idea before. I am rather lost!

Thanks,

[eluser]davidbehler[/eluser]
I guess you should start this project as you would start any other project: on paper. That's atleast what I do.

Write down what features your game must have, the rules, a sketch of your layout, and so on.

After that you can either start by creating a rudimentary design using html and css that you use for testing or by designing the database. Personally I start with the database as that's a pretty important part that needs to be done before you can start with your controllers and models.

[eluser]nZac[/eluser]
That's what I thought and I have exhausted my whiteboard! You should see it, there is just way to many ideas and stuff on there. I have a rough sketch of what I would like it to look like!

My big thing is if I start with the database i know I will not have all the required fields and tables necessary. how do you guys deal with that. Like I said this is my first BIG project.

[eluser]davidbehler[/eluser]
You can always add fields/tables later...shouldn't be much of a problem. Happens to me all the time...new feature here, another one there...

But you need a first rough idea of what your database looks like to be able to start coding.

[eluser]nZac[/eluser]
I see what you mean. Ok well I will start and let you know how I am doing. Maybe I will start a thread in the lounge dedicated to it.

[eluser]R. Oerlemans[/eluser]
I'm working on an game right now. After the paperwork I start with the databasesctructure, when it's complex don't forget to write it on paper. Wich database and tables have to connect each other and thing like that.

Subscribed to this thread, maybe I get some good ideas from the members of CI Forum.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB