Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Private Messaging

[eluser]nZac[/eluser]
I am going to start work on a Private Message library. What is some features (even some of the obvious ones) that you would like to see? I am thinking about modeling it off of the Forums PM system, phpBB's and some gmail features.

What do you think?

Cheers,

[eluser]Yorick Peterse[/eluser]
Drafts and previews Smile

[eluser]nZac[/eluser]
[quote author="Yorick Peterse" date="1247091586"]Drafts and previews Smile[/quote]

That is certainly a possibility.

[eluser]patrickpopowicz[/eluser]
Multiple recipients with separate unread/read/deleted status by recipient (i.e. phpBB shows a multi-recipient PM in your outbox only until any one of the recipients reads the message).

[eluser]nZac[/eluser]
[quote author="ppopowicz" date="1247093961"]Multiple recipients with separate unread/read/deleted status by recipient (i.e. phpBB shows a multi-recipient PM in your outbox only until any one of the recipients reads the message).[/quote]

So if recipient A reads the message but B doesn't display that? That should be possible.

NOTE: Anything is possible, it's just how much time I want to put into this!

What type of database support would you want? MySQL is definitely going to be in there. What about XML? MSSQL?

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
One useful feature is to consider messages threads. PM systems I have madei n the past all sent multiple messages to multiple recipients but it got very confusing as to who was replying to what.

If a message is a thread, then the thread_id can be sent to a user and they all share the message which also has the thread_id attached. This way "reply to all" works fine and the db content is cut down as sending to 20 people wont add 20 new message entries.

Another feature I'd like to see is PyroCMS integration ;-)

[eluser]huzzi[/eluser]
Like facebook messaging system Smile

[eluser]nZac[/eluser]
[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1247149540"]One useful feature is to consider messages threads. PM systems I have madei n the past all sent multiple messages to multiple recipients but it got very confusing as to who was replying to what.

If a message is a thread, then the thread_id can be sent to a user and they all share the message which also has the thread_id attached. This way "reply to all" works fine and the db content is cut down as sending to 20 people wont add 20 new message entries.

Another feature I'd like to see is PyroCMS integration ;-)[/quote]

Very interesting idea. The last PM system I made had something called a convo_id which was what I was going to use exactly like you said. The only problem with this is that how will I know if a recipient has read the message (on a per recipient basis)?? Unless the convo_id has another table associated that has a couple of fields, like convo_id:read_by:last_read_by:last_read_on

Where read_by is an array of user id's

What do you think?

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
The join table should have is_read in it. So you would have user_id, convo_id, is_read.

[eluser]nZac[/eluser]
[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1247436228"]The join table should have is_read in it. So you would have user_id, convo_id, is_read.[/quote]

Great suggestion Phil I will do that.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB