Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
browser incompatibility/session? [SOLVED for now] [EDIT: not solved anymore][EDIT: IE issue with cookies]

[eluser]mradlmaier[/eluser]
Hi All,

I am not sure, if this actually belongs here in this forum.
I describe the situation briefly:

I have a CI site under development at
http://flirt-mit-singles.de/privat-chat-...tanzeigen/

There is membership functionality. The site is hosted on a remote Linuxbox.

Here is what happens under different scenarios:

Username: bogotario
Password: bogotario

-Firefox under Windows Vista: login successful

-IE7 under Windows Vista: login in fails, but instead of displaying the error message, user is redirected to login page, without displaing error message, as it should be. The auth class actually only redirects to the login page, if someone logs out first. That´s why i guess something with the CI session class and IE7/Vista is not working correctly...

-Firefox/Seamonkey under openSUSE Linux: login sucessful

I should add that the combination IE7 under Windows Vista works flawlessly on my local Windows Development box, just not under the remote Linux box.
Against the local Linux Box, i cannot test that with IE7, because it is dual boot, so i can test locally either Firefox or IE, but not IE against Linux.

So I would like you to test what happens with other browser and post the result here.
And I also like to know, if someone ever had a similar issue.

This is all very strange as IE against WAMP locally works, all browsers against LAMP locally work, but just not IE against the remote LAMP

Any hint would be appreciated very much,

Michael

That was completely strange

Out of a sudden, all works again, which is nice...

Dont know what was wrong ?!?
I am quite sure, i did not do anything...

Michael

This issue keeps popping up :-(

Very strange.

!§$%&??!!Internet Explorer....

I deleted all cache, cookies, temporary internet and it works in IE again...

What a stupid browser. Never experienced that this with Firefox.

It has obviously something to do with the way IE handles cookies...

Any ideas?

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
Definitely sounds like a cookie issue. What is your cookie domain set to on the remote server?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
IE7 is already outdated, why don't you try it on IE8? This is the most updated version so it might just work on that.

It is not about what I use, it is about what visitors to a site might use.
If you want maximum visitor numbers, you will not require visitors to use a certain browser, plug-in etc.
That would not be visitor/costumer-centric and a very arrogant.
A shop owner in real world would not require costumers to visit his shop with a certain brand of car either ;-)

Michael

[quote author="Pascal Kriete" date="1247594765"]Definitely sounds like a cookie issue. What is your cookie domain set to on the remote server?[/quote]

I don´t know. How can I find out the cookie domain set to on the remote server?

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
Sorry, should've been more specific. There is a config item in config.php that sets your cookie domain. It should be .example.com (note the leading period), or a subdomain. Not having it set might be a reason why IE isn't taking your cookie.

[eluser]helmutbjorg[/eluser]
I had some problems with login doing the same thing as you mention. Turns out that the form action needed to point to the actual method (even if it is index) in the controller that processes the login rather than to the controller name alone and relying on the default index in CI to work.

So i changed

Code:
form_open('login');

to

Code:
form_open('login/index');

Also double check that your $config['sess_cookie_name'] doesn't contain any underscores or symbols. These can cause odd errors to occur too.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB