Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
best way to collaborate on a project with another developer?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I have a question that may seem simple, but I didn't find anything on it in searching this forum.

How exactly would I got about collaborating a project utilizing CodeIgnitor with another developer who was in a different geographic location.

Assumptions:
1. We have a webserver with PHP, Mysql (with database created), FTP access, and an account setup on the server with our codeigniter/application files.
2. We both have Codeigniter locally installed.

Questions:
1. Would it be best to structure it so that we worked on different pieces of the project?
2. What if we did need to work on the same pieces of the project (we are in two totally different times zones).
3. What about one of us correcting the others problems/questions, etc.?
4. What would be an ideal process for copying DB changes and application code changes from local to server?

I did see that there is versioning in Codeigniter, but how would that work so that we didn't step on each other's work?

[eluser]Iván Argulo[/eluser]
There are different approaches to achieve this, depends on how much do you want to spend in managing it...

I'll try to answer your questions from the point of view of a web developer who usually works in a team.

1. Would it be best to structure it so that we worked on different pieces of the project?

Keep our files ordered and well documented. For example, keep your files in subfolders (even in the controllers folder, or views folder), so your coworker could drop the new/update files, and have your changes.

2. What if we did need to work on the same pieces of the project (we are in two totally different times zones).

It's not easy, the best way I know is to work in different parts of the application, and then merge them...

3. What about one of us correcting the others problems/questions, etc.?

You can use a task system (Eclipse comes with it), or a complete Project Management System (see the link below).

4. What would be an ideal process for copying DB changes and application code changes from local to server?

I keep a diagram (which is the basis for the DB), and then generate the ALTER or CREATE statements. I love MySQL WorkBench for it.

In summary:

Use a CSV repository to store the files (I cannot give you counsel about that)
Use a Project Management System. We happily use OpenGoo, http://www.opengoo.org/, which allows you to manage document, tasks, notes, timings and even e-mail accounts. Give it a try.

Hope it helps, best regards

[eluser]gigas10[/eluser]
I found using the SCRUM methodology pretty useful for multiple user projects.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB