Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Update System - Best practice

[eluser]vlados2[/eluser]
Hi,
I am new to the community and hello to all Smile I am sure I will spend a lot of time here Smile

So Smile My first post will be to discus the best practices of building an auto update module/update server.
Is it better to build an application with core and additional modules and update the core (like wordpress) or to build each file and track changes (somehow Smile ) like a SVN, or to build a module to download the latest changes from the SVN Smile

What you think?

[eluser]xzela[/eluser]
Hi Smile

I use SVN Smile It's easier to track changes and roll back files in case of accidents Smile However, I'm just one developer working on a project. Smile

Of course Smile there are different (better? Smile ) ways to do this.

It really depends on what you are most comfortable with Smile

good luck

Smile

[eluser]garymardell[/eluser]
sheish people that smiley face is controlling you. 13 of them in 2 posts!!!!

[eluser]vlados2[/eluser]
We are just happy people enjoying our lives Smile)))

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
SVN is fine if you have control over all the servers your app will be installed on. I personally use Git and do the same thing.

However I am looking to set up a more portable method as not everyone will be using Git to manage their PyroCMS updates.

I think, a REST service offering a list of modules with version numbers and other meta data, combined with a local XML or JSON file within the module could be used to compare existing versions with currently available versions. Then the user would just need to click download to perform a grab of the zip file, remove the existing module and unzip the new one in its place.

If the REST service also offered up install/uninstall/upgrade SQL then it could add any required DB changes to the site too.

Not going to be easy, but it will be slick as f**k.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB