Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[PHP Frameworks] Looking for opinions

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="devbro" date="1248842594"]I am/was a computer sci major student and learnt proper project development and project designing. As a result it is much easier for me to look and design on object instead of linear events. that is why i prefer OOP even thought in some cases causes overhead.[/quote]

One thing I find fascinating, and it's not just because I was trained in 'classical' non-OOP languages, is that there's never been any decent comparative analysis of OOP to, say, standard modular 3GL-style programming. The latter approach seems to have been offering pretty decent performance ever since someone worked out that gotos are considered harmful. Worse yet, for us, is that PHP offers such an excruciating attractive platform to perform such differentials with.

Quote:PHP5 has a lot of new functions that provide easier way of doing things.

People say this, when they talk about CI's compatibility with PHP4, as though they are limited from taking advantage of PHP5 constructs, on a PHP5-server, while writing PHP5 code, talking to a CI framework. I don't understand how they come to this conclusion. Perhaps they've done lots of benchmarks of the same code against a PHP5 versus a PHP4 engine - though I expect that they have not, and instead they are talking through their proverbials.

Quote: Also nature of some function in PHP5 is changed. what worries me is that PHP6 is planning to abandon all problems and workaround of PHP4. it will result in non PHP5 codes to be consider, obsolete, and I am ready to switch the second it is released. if you be aware CI core code is PHP4 and PHP5 complaint but it is not PHP6 complaint.

I've read through the PHP6 upgrade notes a few times now - and the biggest thing that annoys me (still!) is that they are sticking with their confusion about haystacks and needles.

Quote:2. __construct() vs calss_name() (i occasionally forget that I need which one)

Well, an inability to type will always be a limiting factor, I guess .. but it's not really that big of a problem is it?

Quote:3. $config approach is primary a result of php4 OOP coding.

You're not obliged to use the $config stuff .. from my understanding?

Quote:the thing I really like about kohana is how everything is OO and no $config is used. This way when I look at the code it is much more comfortable to the eyes and I do not need to care if $config, multi-function-call, or OO is used to achieve a goal. Kohana also addresses some issues in CI, such as form_validation(CI does not cover $_FILES validation and work directly on $_POST)(data for views should be loaded into arrays and sent using load->view(), in Kohana you can load variables one at a time and call render )(kohana allows for modular coding, meaning files that are related to each other can be kept in the same folder)

Okay, much of that goes beyond what has bothered me in the past - but obviously if it's a show stopper for you, then you need to be using Kohana.

The modular stuff you speak of at the end there sounds like something the HMVC (?) stuff addresses,although I concede it's not a 'core component' (though I don't have the deference to 'core components' that many people seem to).

Loading variables one at a time .. I'm not sure how that differs from what I do with CI.

[eluser]Rick Jolly[/eluser]
First, nice short-list.

ZF components are generally pretty good, but you're correct that the ZF MVC is overly complicated. That might be ok for architecture zealots if ZF didn't make some huge architectural mistakes.

Truth is CI and Kohana are very similar, and either is a good choice. My 2 biggest complaints about CI are validation and lack of true php autoloading.

Kohana allows validating any array anywhere. Callbacks can be in any class.

The only significant problem with CI being written in php 4 is the lack of autoloading (imo). The loader class is just a hack in absence of autoloading. Of course, you can use naming conventions and write your own autoloader.

[eluser]devbro[/eluser]
the issue is not in how to do things. The problem comes from the fact that if you work in a team or your code is coming from different sources then you want consistency between all of them as much as possible.

Yes HMVC is what I am talking about. it is supported naturally in kohana but not in CI.

[eluser]jakot05[/eluser]
BTW, anybody knows some benchmark but with something more than "Hello World!" tests?.
Thanks for all the replays

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB