Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter Beginners question

[eluser]Avril[/eluser]
Hi,

I'm quite new to CodeIgniter but not a beginner with php.
I know CodeIgniter by using Expression Engine, so I was thinking let's give it a try Smile

So, before I go install CodeIgniter and go check the vid tuts and so on, I have 1 big question Smile

After my dayjob I create some simple PSD templates for forums, wordpress etc .. also some addons for wordpress and drupal.

I'm making a bit money on the side with that, but lately I was thinking that it would be good that I actual go fully into web development.

So I don't have the courage to write out an entire functions, objects library (it takes far to much time)so I was checking out some frameworks.. mostly the free ones ;-P

So my question is, if I make an app for example a budget management for internal use (maybe for home also)and I want to sell or give it to some people/friends so that they can use it.

Besides that they have to install a local webserver (WAMP, XAMPP OR MAMP), do they also need to install CodeIgniter?
Or is it enough that I create an installation wizard for the DB, Tables?

To make a long discussion short, I make a webapp, give it for example to my sister, can she work with it(knowing MAMP is installed on her mac) without to have to install CodeIgniter?

Thanks!

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
You don't really 'install' Ci per se. If you leave the structure to be the same as it is when you extract, you send them the it all in one go. If you know they already have a copy of the CI core, you can just send them the application folder and index.php which they make point to their CI install.
And if you don't want to do a fancy installer for the DB tables, a plain SQL dump of the database will do (thats what I do cause I'm lazy)

[eluser]wowdezign[/eluser]
I'm not sure I understand your question.

If you give her all the files when you give her the website, she'll be able to work with it because the framework is essentially the foundation of the site.

[eluser]Avril[/eluser]
Hi, thanks for the answers!

Ow, I thought that there was some kind of possibility to "extract" the application that is created.

The goal is that I create a webapp give it to a person (that have just MAMP installed)executes the install wizard that I should create and there we go.

It was not the goal that the person has already CI. It should be a "standalone" app.

But seems that I can't do that with CI Sad

[eluser]wowdezign[/eluser]
[quote author="Dam1an" date="1248831151"]If you leave the structure to be the same as it is when you extract, you send them the it all in one go.[/quote]

Since it's not a compiled application, you basically have to provide the framework along with the stuff you write, since the files you write will extend or make use of the framework files.

That being said, Dam1an mentioned that if you leave the structure intact, it doesn't have to be complicated.

[eluser]stef25[/eluser]
Quote:To make a long discussion short, I make a webapp, give it for example to my sister, can she work with it(knowing MAMP is installed on her mac) without to have to install CodeIgniter?

codeigniter is the webapp. so no she doesnt have to "install it". just send a zip of the folder in which the app resides and she can just unzip that in to her localhost folder.

you'll also need the dbdump.sql and she'll have to set the connection settings in her config

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB