Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Best IDE for php/ci development

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Coincidentally, I have just finished installing Aptana (on Debian GNU/Linux).

So far my observations are:
o 200MB raw install (!)
o 365MB once I say 'yes' to php, python and ruby. Far out - a third of a gig for an editor?!
o forces a new and ugly directory in my home dir - I hate that - it should be a .dir (hidden) or at least the option to choose the location
o on first (and all subsequent) launches after ploughing through the 'Next...' installation-click-fest I get two java error dialogs with incomprehensible messages
o on creating a project in a directory containing my extant php files the thing just silently crashes

What is it that you think they're doing right?

[eluser]SitesByJoe[/eluser]
Coda has been very enjoyable to use with CodeIgniter syntax (and SVN!). I'll never go back to Dreamweaver again.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
... and after crashing, it then tells me there's a bunch of gems (ruby plugins, I gather) that it must install lest the world end. You think it would have done this when it was downloading 100+mb of ruby plugins an hour ago. Maybe it had other things on its mind at the time. Like installing the ruby plugins that it said it needed.

Clicking the 'okay and please stop annoying me' button generates a pop-up demanding my root password, so it can 'save these in the right place'.

Given I'm running this from my ~/bin/ directory to avoid any contamination of my /usr fs ... this is a bit unreasonable. The right place is very much my ~/bin/AptanaStudio/ directory (which, did I mention, has already grown from 165MB to 365MB just from the ruby/php/python editor plugins!).

Clicking cancel has led to a little progress Information dialog box that asserting it's auto-installing gems but, refusing to ack it wasn't given root permissions, it's now just stuck there.

I think giving money to the people that developed this software is quite irresponsible - it'll just encourage them.

[eluser]Dan Ballance[/eluser]
[quote author="jedd" date="1252188345"]Coincidentally, I have just finished installing Aptana (on Debian GNU/Linux).

So far my observations are:
o 200MB raw install (!)
o 365MB once I say 'yes' to php, python and ruby. Far out - a third of a gig for an editor?!
o forces a new and ugly directory in my home dir - I hate that - it should be a .dir (hidden) or at least the option to choose the location
o on first (and all subsequent) launches after ploughing through the 'Next...' installation-click-fest I get two java error dialogs with incomprehensible messages
o on creating a project in a directory containing my extant php files the thing just silently crashes

What is it that you think they're doing right?[/quote]

Have to be honest, i'm currently using windows as my development environment and use a headless lamp setup on the server...

I still think it is offering something not easily available right now - quality OO code editing with XHMTL/CSS/JS.

Have had a few bugs and setup issues to resolve; but I do believe it has been *worth* it (it was free!)

dan :-)

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Dreamweaver used to be my IDE of choice, but once I tried Netbeans I never looked back!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB