Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Best IDE for php/ci development

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
I personally use PhpED now, and I love it. I used EditPlus before that, and I still keep it for old times sake Smile

I like the integrated debugger, though you need to make a couple of tweaks to get it working with CI. I thought 'who needs that, I use var_dump'...and wow, what a difference something so simple as debugging can make.

Now I drop a DebugBreak(); call where I want to bring things to a halt, and I look through the value of every variable if I want and walk through the code line-by-line and I can't say how much time this saves alone. And CTRL+SHIFT+S to upload to your server of choice, SFTP integrated (which is a big deal for me because for PCI compliance I had to disable ftp functions as 'unnecessary and insecure').

The one thing I don't like is it has built in support for CVS - but not SVN, and CVS is so 90's. Oh well, it was very easy to install and configure I found, which I found not to be true of Eclipse when I tried it. I had so much trouble getting the others I tried setup and working right, but PhpED just works, so its worth the price for me anyhow.

[eluser]richzilla[/eluser]
personally i used to use aptana but i agree with the suggestions its a bit sluggish. Now however ive gone off the IDE altogether, and just use gedit with a few modifications, and the code igniter snippets, and just f5 the web browser to see my changes. works a treat.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="BrianDHall" date="1252008229"]
The one thing I don't like is it has built in support for CVS - but not SVN, and CVS is so 90's.
[/quote]

I never really liked subversion .. it filled a gap, but it was pretty ugly. Being a very recent convert to git, though, it just makes me smile out loud (to use the vernacular) when I see people favourably comparing SVN to CVS. Check out Linus' talk (on youtube somewhere) to the Google in-crowd at some love-in, probably about a year or two old now, where he talks for about an hour on the subject of git (and cvs and svn and .. ).

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
I really don't like any of the source-control, just everyone tells me I should use it Big Grin

I'll have to look into git, never heard of it before.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Ahh .. in that case, definitely watch Linus' rambling description of what led him to write it.

I've actually met the guy that motivated Linus to stop kernel development for a year or so and go and write a decent, free software versioning system from scratch.

Check out [url="https://github.com/"]github[/url] - particularly the copy of CodeIgniter (from SVN!) that's posted there, and also Phil's pyrocms repository .. lots of others.

My favourite git links are : [url="http://www.spheredev.org/wiki/Git_for_the_lazy"]Git for the lazy[/url] and [url="http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html"]Everyday git with 20 commands or so[/url]

[eluser]FutureKing[/eluser]
I use Aptana Studio for CI development. Aptana Supports PHP and many JS Libraries too. It is also called Dreamweaver Killer because it is FREE!

[eluser]TommyHot[/eluser]
I use komodo edit, it's not IDE just editor though. But it works perfectly fine with php, except it loads too slow, because of XUL (it's even slower than firefox).

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="TommyHot" date="1252126757"]I use komodo edit, it's not IDE just editor though. But it works perfectly fine with php, except it loads too slow, because of XUL (it's even slower than firefox).[/quote]
If it loads slow why not use something else? Personally I would be quite annoyed if the tool I use the most takes too long too load...

[eluser]TommyHot[/eluser]
[quote author="n0xie" date="1252127070"]If it loads slow why not use something else? Personally I would be quite annoyed if the tool I use the most takes too long too load...[/quote]

Well I don't like IDEs (i use netbeans for java Sad ) so I was looking for something lighter and only advanced text editor on Windows that I could come up with is komodo. I've used many of them (pspad, notepad++, e-texteditor etc), but none was the right choice for me. I'd rather wait 20 seconds more while it's loading, rather then having editor that lacks of features, has useless features or it's UI looks like back in 1998. Most of the time I hibernate or suspend my laptop anyways, so loading time is not a big deal for me. And version 4 to 5 was a big performance step forward, so hopefuly they will iron it out.

I was using Kate on linux which is really great one, but linux itself (no matter what distro) after 8 years doesn't suit me anymore.

[eluser]Dan Ballance[/eluser]
I use Aptana Studio and I think it is the business.

I used to be stuck in a situation where I needed Eclipse for programming serious OO PHP and Dreamweaver for the XHTML/CSS/JS end of things...

Then Aptana Studio was released and I got all of my Christmases at once. I love it. It's not perfect and it's still developing, but if you want Eclipse quality code editing for OO PHP and css syntax highlighting and other great web development awareness in one IDE, then you're onto a winner with Aptana.

Oh - and did I forget to mention XDebug support for propper PHP debugging? Now that's the mark of a true IDE imho. And it's free, not crippled, but I intend to buy the professional verson because it's quite cheap and I love what these guys are doing.

...Oh! And did I mention the integrated LAMP cloud that you can optionally host on and have an all-in-one solution from code to scalable server deployment?

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :-D

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB