Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CIEXtended (CIEX) - New PHP ORM Framework based on CodeIgniter

[eluser]nizsmo[/eluser]
Hi ralf57

Thanks for your input. I totally understand if you do not use the ORM which comes with CIEX, as we believe it is still the user's choice whether to use other alternative ORM's or still just take the models approach.

I agree EllisLab has done a terrific job with the CodeIgniter framework, and we bow to them. However it is hard to do a comparison between them and us as we are very young, and have just started what we are doing not long ago, compared to them.

As mentioned in the previous posts, we will take all feedback into consideration, but in the meanwhile please don't let that stop you from enjoying other things CIEX can offer.

Thanks, and look forward to any other feedbacks you may have :-)

[eluser]Adam Griffiths[/eluser]
I don't see the point in this new "framework" if the only thing you offer is modular separation and an encoded ORM library which has less features than an open source alternative Why should people use this framework over CodeIgniter with 3rd party libraries?

I can't see the reasoning behind encoding your ORM library because "we spent a long time on it" — that's jut bull. EllisLab spent ages on CodeIgniter and other people (like myself) have spent a considerable amount of time on libraries for CodeIgniter that we have licensed as open source. It is a very poor excuse and you will find that more people will stay clear of encoded libraries because nobody can verify that it is safe to use and that there isn't a security hole.

I also feel that if you're describing the framework as an "Object Relational Mapping Framework" then you should open source the code and make it a full-featured library.

I also believe use of the name CodeIgniter in your framework is against the terms of the EllisLab license. I know you haven't directly used the name CodeIgniter but indirectly using "CI" is technically a use.

Ok maybe I'm just being picky but this post annoyed my slightly.

[eluser]nizsmo[/eluser]
Hi Adam

Thanks for your time in expressing your opinion, we really appreciate it.
As we have stated before, we have our reasons for encoding the ORM, whether the reasoning is poor or not is an opinion you are free to make, and for now we have made that choice so we will commit to it. That does not go to say we do not open it up at a later date.

We understood from the start and expected that the encoding was going to pose some obstacles for users. We included the ORM because we thought people may like to try it out, but do not force the users to use it.

The open-source community is huge, and with people like you contributing to the community we (and I'm sure a lot of people) are grateful. As I said we all bow to EllisLab for creating CodeIgniter for us all to use, as it is an excellent framework - in my opinion best out of all the major ones.

We made sure before giving the framework a name that "CI" was not mentioned in the license. We named it CIEXtended simply because it is what it is, an extension to the original CodeIgniter framework.
We use it for our projects and opened it up so that people who see the potential in this can give it a try.

As I said we value all feedback/opinions and will take your opinion on-board as well. A negative opinion is not necessarily a bad one, in fact it is probably more helpful Smile

Thanks!

[eluser]Johan André[/eluser]
I totally agree with Adam on this one.
Release the code as opensource and let the helpful people here help you develop it.
That will (probably) add value to your product.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
Who is "we"?

[eluser]nizsmo[/eluser]
Hi Johan, Thank you for your comment and input. I understand that most of the people will agree with you and Adam, as I said for now we are committing to the choice we have made, but please keep an eye out for new version/releases, as we may release something in the near future.

Hi Phil, to answer your question, everytime I refer to "we", I am referring to the development team who work with me who are actively working on projects using CIEX and improving CIEX itself. I am merely the representative of the team on this forum to answer questions and communicate the thoughts of the team to the public.

Again thanks for your feedbacks, look forward to some more!

In that case I would love to install some closed-source encrypted code from a nondescript un-named development team.

What could go wrong? 8-/

[eluser]nizsmo[/eluser]
Hi Phil

I do understand where you are coming from. Reason we included the ORM in the release is because we thought that people would enjoy using it, and it may be of benefit to someone out there. If the encrypted source-code does bother you, then you can simply remove it and use a popular ORM out there as an alternative.

CIEX is actively being developed, and will have regular updates and new features. The CIEX ORM is just part of the features being added to CIEX.

Another alternative also, is you can come back at a later date after CIEX becomes more mature and grows in the amount of features, if you do not think CIEX will be of benefit to you at its current version of development.

Again we do appreciate your opinion, and you taking your time to post your thoughts :-)

[eluser]Adam Griffiths[/eluser]
I think what Phil is saying is that not many people will want to use this for a few reasons. Onbviously the main one is the encrypted source code, nobody knows what's happening in there, and people will wonder if their application is actually safe.

Secondly, many people won't want to use code unless they know who it has come from. If that is just you, say so, if it actually is a development team, name them so we know who it's from and know who else we can go to for help if the need arises.

In all cases, I wish you luck with this project and hope you succeed.

[quote author="Adam Griffiths" date="1249670808"]I think what Phil is saying is that not many people will want to use this for a few reasons. Onbviously the main one is the encrypted source code, nobody knows what's happening in there, and people will wonder if their application is actually safe.

Secondly, many people won't want to use code unless they know who it has come from. If that is just you, say so, if it actually is a development team, name them so we know who it's from and know who else we can go to for help if the need arises.[/quote]

I like my version better, but yes, these are the issues.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB