Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Pulling my hairout

[eluser]jayrulez[/eluser]
sigh i must be dumb cuz i really don't get it. Since we are dealing with php, we will need php code to execute in order to perform the functions we desire, whether the code is stored in db or in files we will still need to browse/edit it. not connecting to db everytime we want to modify the code, isn't that tedious? based on what i get from ur previous posts, this is the route a request in your framework will take: db->controller->db->model->result and this is the route of the conventional php frameworks: controller->model->db->result. which would you say is longer? besides most of the frameworks out there can be extended into CMS[s]... then again, it's all up to you to do what you see fit. don't let me tell you it's a waste of your time.

[quote author="RogerM" date="1249290784"]It seems like you haven't tried CI to the fullest of it's capabilities.

Most have found ways around your problems that you are having and successfully put out web apps by doing it.

If your framework is that much better then CI, then go back to it. We all have our frameworks that we like, and it seems CI isn't for you.

Best of luck in your coding.[/quote]

lol don't lash out at the guy for not likin the way CI does things. I think we all have the right to say what we want, after all we aren't living in ********. Smile

Besides i'm interested in seeing how he would implement his ideas.

[eluser]phantomkiwi[/eluser]
Getting there I got my views to run from a database Smile

[quote author="phantomkiwi" date="1249301587"]Getting there I got my views to run from a database Smile[/quote]

ok. i'd like to see this when ur finished

[eluser]garymardell[/eluser]
[quote author="phantomkiwi" date="1249301587"]Getting there I got my views to run from a database Smile[/quote]

The whole thing just seems a tad silly. The slow part of any script is usually pulling data from the database hence people try to limit the number of queries. Seems to me your framework may get very sluggish very fast, also doesn't seem to make sense on how your going to edit it. Should be interesting if you create it to see benchmarks against a file based version of CI. Maybe you will prove us wrong.

[eluser]phantomkiwi[/eluser]
Sadly I decided to ditch CI for kohana has more features for what I'm looking (proper OO)...

By the way database vs file system... database system just win, they ain't slower. Then you have the upside of having an organized structure and more flexibility.

If you guys are still interested I can post a link to my kohana extended framework example if you want?

Probably take a week to get it the way I want, but worth it.

[eluser]richthegeek[/eluser]
Phontomwiki: Kohana is a CI fork for lazy people (sacrifices speed and weight for pre-built featuresets).

And a database is *on* a filesystem just a flat file system - the difference being that the filesystem is often on a different server - you are moving from just the HDD transfer speeds of 300 MB/s by adding on the LAN transfer speeds of 100 MB/s, plus the connection/access time of around 0.1 m/s. Even if the database is stored in the RAM by the MySQL server you are still adding a serious (relative to pure local fs) amount of lag.

Secondly, if you are storing your code in a database you will then have to eval() the code, which slows your system down even more (I think PHP invokes a new instance of itself within shared memory to do eval's, but I'm not sure).

Storing your views in a database has advantages when it comes to online editing (like in Expression Engine) but any database storage is ALWAYS slower than local file storage.

[quote author="phantomkiwi" date="1249379694"]Sadly I decided to ditch CI for kohana has more features for what I'm looking (proper OO)...

By the way database vs file system... database system just win, they ain't slower. Then you have the upside of having an organized structure and more flexibility.

If you guys are still interested I can post a link to my kohana extended framework example if you want?

Probably take a week to get it the way I want, but worth it.[/quote]

If you are talking about data storage then CI also offers the functionalities that allows for data storage/manipulation for mysql and other types of dbms.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB