Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
View/Edit view file

[eluser]Samuurai[/eluser]
Hi Everyone,

This isn't a codeigniter question specifically, but I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas regardless...

I have a view which displays a list of database entries. You can then click on one to show it's details.

I want to be able to view the details in an un-editable way, but if the person has enough rights, they will be able to edit it.

What is the best approach with the view... should I create two views.. one for editing and one for viewing, or should I create one view which functions in both ways with a flag setting or something?

Thanks!

Beren

[eluser]renownedmedia[/eluser]
I'd put them in one view and send a flag to enable or disable.

controller:
Code:
$data['admin'] = true;

view:
Code:
foreach($items AS $item) {
echo "<tr>";
if ($admin)
  echo "<td>Edit, Delete</td>";
else
  echo "<td>&nbsp;</td>";
echo "<td>{$item['name']}</td>";
}

Of course, in your controller for performing actions, you'd make a permission check in case they happened to know the url format for deleting.

Brilliant.. That's great, thanks!

Beren

I'm having some issues with this approach... my code is currently like this:
Code:
foreach($result as $row)
echo "<h1>Foo is </h1>";
{
    if(isset($new)) {
        echo '&lt;input type="text" name="foo"&gt;';
    }
    elseif(isset($edit)) {
        echo '&lt;input type="text" name="foo" value="$row[foo]"&gt;';
    }
    else {
        echo $row->foo;
    }
}
This code is deeply flawed! If I want to add a new record, no queries will be performed so $result will not be set, so it errors.

How should I be doing this?

[eluser]Jondolar[/eluser]
In your controller, when you want to add a record (instead of edit) create an array called $result with one blank "record" and pass it to the view just like you would if you got the data from the model.

$result = array();
$result[0] = '';

Also, you may want to read up on MVC and not use "echo" to echo out your html code in either your controller or your view. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for your reply That worked perfectly! My code wasn't that broken after all!

Yeah, I only used echo's for this example.. I usually use the &lt;?=$row->blah=> syntax.

Thanks once again CodeIgniter forums for sorting out my problem!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB