Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Do you use the default view system or a template sys. (Like Smarty)

[eluser]jfox[/eluser]
I've just started using CodeIgnighter recently and I've seen two separate schools of thought in terns of the view. Some people (such as the CI dev team) seem to feel that simple PHP views using the built in load > view functionality is best. But another group seems to feel that a template system, such as Smarty is the way to go. I've played around a little with both and found pros and cons. Curious what others are doing out there in terms of coding their views.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
I stick to plain PHP views but I am wishing we had a more powerful templating system that the Parser.

Smarty is overkill and I don't want it anywhere near my projects, but I do miss its fairly clean functions and foreach/foreachelse.

[eluser]bretticus[/eluser]
Smarty is great for PHP devs, unless you have a MVC framework Smile

I like putting minimal php in my views also. I've had too many designers get blank screens when Smarty templates fail to parse, etc.

I suppose if I didn't trust my designers, I'd use a templating system. Smile

[eluser]Jondolar[/eluser]
I use my own template system. However, my application is designed to allow web designers the ability to modify my templates without using any php or any templating language (other than my own tags). Therefore, the ability to have different "users (designers)" make changes is a driving force for my template system. For applications where you may only have one version running or you feel that your customer audience can handle the php markup, I would definitely use PHP as your markup language and use the native CI view engine.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB