Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Where do you put header.php and footer.php?

[eluser]Carlos Mora[/eluser]
@jason,
I've started using you template and, as bengrice said, $data appears to be out of scope. I'm not sure wich is the best way to pass the full $data array to subviews, but may be that the real $data should be in an elementt of original array, like in

<code>
function index()
{
$data["title"] = "Clientes";
$data["heading"] = "Lista de clientes";
$data["query"] = $this->db->get('clientes');

$view_data['page'] = 'cliente_view'; // pass the view to use as a parameter
$view_data['data'] = $data; // pass the real data so it is declared as $data

$this->load->view('container',$view_data);
</code>

Another solution may be use use
global $data;

inside container.php to bring back $data into scope. Both solutions worked here, but I'll appreciate the advise of an expert, in particular with the usage of global $data.

Best regards.

Carlos

[eluser]bengrice[/eluser]
hi carlos,

just encase you missunderstood. i got an error if i tried to pass through the data var. if i just left it off everything passed through as normal eg this is my simple container view
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
&lt;html&gt;
&lt;head&gt;
&lt;?php $this->load->view('layout/meta'); ?&gt;
&lt;/head&gt;
&lt;body&gt;
&lt;?php
$this->load->view('layout/header');
$this->load->view($page);
$this->load->view('layout/footer');
?&gt;
&lt;/body&gt;
&lt;/html&gt;

as you can see i haven't passed through the second variable the $data one however any data i set and passed through when i called this container view automagically becomes available in the nested views (accessed in the normal way ie calling the variable name directly)

hope you understand lol

ben

[eluser]Carlos Mora[/eluser]
Ben,

In your code you are passing just the $page name, but no other info to show into the view.
The automagically part is the basic mechanism in CI to pass data to views. The magic happens in load->view(), where the array is converted into local vars, with a 'per function' scope, so loading nested views have the collateral effect of loosing the vars passed, ej. in your $this->load->view($page).
A solution is, as posted, to introduce the global $data; into the container.php, so nested views can receive the vars passed in the original $data array.

Please try changing your code into :

Code:
&lt;body&gt;;
&lt;?php
global $data;
$this->load->view('layout/header');
$this->load->view($page, $data);
$this->load->view('layout/footer');
?&gt;;
&lt;/body&gt;

[eluser]bengrice[/eluser]
no what im trying to say is that mines works. . . im looking at it now and it passes through and works fine no global no data var thats all

cheers
ben

[eluser]The Beginner[/eluser]
Hi all,
I really appreciate this post, it give me much greater insite into how to complete my first major project in CI. The only thing I am wondering is, what is contained in "&lt;?php $this->load->view('layout/meta');?&gt;"? is this meta data files? What is it's purpose?

[eluser]khancute[/eluser]
[quote author="The Beginner" date="1253864836"]Hi all,
I really appreciate this post, it give me much greater insite into how to complete my first major project in CI. The only thing I am wondering is, what is contained in "&lt;?php $this->load->view('layout/meta');?&gt;"? is this meta data files? What is it's purpose?[/quote]

well if i'm not mistaken, the meta.php file is used to include all of your asset such as css files, javascript or ajax libraries.

So does that mean that the css file I use for my menu that is currently included in my header_view could be loaded in that file instead, keeping all those things in one place? And if that is the case, obivously it would be available to header_view when it loaded?
If I understand that correctly that is really cool. I still am having difficulty getting pea brain around that. Someone used the term AutoMagically, referring to CI, that is the way I feel about it right now.lol Hopefully someday soon I will get my head around it.
Thanks,
Del

[eluser]vecima[/eluser]
I took a somewhat different approach to this (headers and footers).

in my controller (in my case my other controllers inherit from this one) i have a render method that the controllers call to set everything up.

application/libraries/Base_controller.php (you can call it whatever you want obviously)
Code:
&lt;?php  if ( ! defined('BASEPATH')) exit('No direct script access allowed');

class Base_Controller extends Controller {

var $data = array();    

function Base_Controller()
    {
        parent::Controller();
    }

function _render($view_data=NULL)
    {
        $content = "";
        if ($view_data != NULL) {
            if (is_array($view_data)) {
                foreach($view_data as $view) {
                    if ($view != NULL) {
                        $content .= $this->load->view($view, $this->data, true);
                    }
                }
            } else {
                $content .= $this->load->view($view_data, $this->data, true);
            }
        }

$output = $this->load->view('header', $this->data, true);
        $output .= $content;
        $output .= $this->load->view('footer', $this->data, true);

$this->output->set_output($output);
    }
}

then other controllers can call _render like so:

Code:
//just put one view between the header and footer
$this->_render('whatever_view');

//or, put an array of views between the header and footer
$this->_render(array('whatever_view', 'sidebar/some_sidebar_view', 'sidebar/another_sidebar_view'));

the only downside to this approach is that instead of having a "container" my header has:

&lt;html&gt;
&lt;head&gt;
&lt;/head&gt;
&lt;body&gt;
<some stuff />

and my footer has
<some stuff />
&lt;/body&gt;

so you aren't getting all the tags neatly closed in one view, but instead of a container, head, and footer, i just have a header and footer.

Hey guy's,
I have tried both ways (with..: global $data, and with out and by the time I call $this->load->view('wpmenu') I get and error that 'memu' is not a valid var yet I set it in my Controller for wpmenu to = $data['menu']= $my_menu_data) also in my heaader file I am including a CSS file and tried using $base_url() and I get an error there that says base_url is an invalid function even though I am loading 'url' in autoload.php where $autoload['helper'] = array('snappy_source','url');
I am sure I am missing something, I just can't seam to figure out what it is.
Any suggestions?

[eluser]khancute[/eluser]
[quote author="The Beginner" date="1254014508"]Hey guy's,
I have tried both ways (with..: global $data, and with out and by the time I call $this->load->view('wpmenu') I get and error that 'memu' is not a valid var yet I set it in my Controller for wpmenu to = $data['menu']= $my_menu_data) also in my heaader file I am including a CSS file and tried using $base_url() and I get an error there that says base_url is an invalid function even though I am loading 'url' in autoload.php where $autoload['helper'] = array('snappy_source','url');
I am sure I am missing something, I just can't seam to figure out what it is.
Any suggestions?[/quote]

could you show your code, it kinda hard to see what might be the problem.
i might have a guess but i'm not sure, better wait till you show your code.

thanks

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB