Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Understanding CodeIgniter

[eluser]georgerobbo[/eluser]
Hello,

I'm a complete beginner to PHP and MVC frameworks. I've install CodeIgniter and followed the installation instructions as specified in the documentation. I have set the default path to http://localhost/igniter/

However I'm confused from the installation instructions as the documentation appears to jump from installation to coding without explaination of the structure of CodeIgniter.

[eluser]Adam Griffiths[/eluser]
Hey,

Welcome to the forums!

Firstly I would advise you to go take a look at the user guide because it covers everything you need to know about CodeIgniter.

Then if you still have some qualms that aren't covered, you can shoot over here and post the problem and us folks will help you out.

I'm still confused. Maybe I'm just being blind.

[eluser]Twisted1919[/eluser]
Well the documentation is more than enough .
Please read the user guide more carefully and you will find out everything you need to know .
For example , the welcome file from your controller folder is the first file that CI will look to when loading your app.
This is defined in routes.php which is located under your config folder .
Accesing your http://site.tld/CodeIgniter/index.php will show the content generated by the method called index() from your Controller named welcome.
Well , is easier for you to understand reading the user guide . just do it Wink

[eluser]jdfwarrior[/eluser]
[quote author="georgerobbo" date="1249688156"]I'm still confused. Maybe I'm just being blind.[/quote]

What exactly do you not understand and I will try to help you

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
This is just my opinion, but using CI, or any php framework, isn't for somebody that doesn't know php. You said you are a beginner with php, so the best thing you can do is learn php, get experienced, and then use CI to take that experience to the next level.

[eluser]jdfwarrior[/eluser]
[quote author="skunkbad" date="1249691844"]This is just my opinion, but using CI, or any php framework, isn't for somebody that doesn't know php. You said you are a beginner with php, so the best thing you can do is learn php, get experienced, and then use CI to take that experience to the next level.[/quote]

I believe you could learn them together. As long as you have a firm grasp on programming concepts and how it all works, picking up a language isn't hard. Granted it would be better if you knew php well first, but if you figure out MVC and how that works, then codeigniter is reduced at that point to nothing but a bunch of functions to make things easier.

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
If you do decide to learn both side by side, I'd make sure you have a good understanding of which paerts you're writting are PHP and which are CI, otherwise, if you then do some plain PHP, you'll try using CI libraries/functions and have no clue why they don't work

I've re-read the documentation and I'm finding it much easier to understand.

[eluser]Jelmer[/eluser]
Have you taken a look at the video tutorials, they went a long way into helping me understand where to begin when I first tried it: http://codeigniter.com/tutorials/

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB