Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Difference between Helper and Class

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Given your superiority, it's regrettable that you consistently choose to attack rather than educate.

The assertions are ambiguous insofar as providing guidance. Should novices use one approach and eschew the other? Is that decision contingent in any way on whether PHP4 or PHP5 is being used - and/or if it was important to maintain portability between the two versions?

Can you please clarify - when you say 'no difference' - do you just mean no functional difference, or no performance difference? Or perhaps some other form of non-difference?

Is your expectation that if CI drops support for PHP4, they would subsequently drop helpers?

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Hmmm ... unwelcome attacks and vague observations are delivered within a few minutes, but genuinely helpful advice takes way longer apparently.

In fact, that might be the sum of the explanation right there.

Anyhoo, amitkgupta28 - your call on what conclusion you draw here. If you reckon there's zero cost in instantiating a class, and could prove it, then the Zend guys would probably want to employ you. If you want to seek insight in the manual or the source of CI itself, then you probably won't get anything conclusive - in fact bits are quite bewildering (eg. the typography helper). I think at the end of the day it's your call on which approach you find makes more sense. You might want to make the call based on whether you need to use the $CI object .. and while I sprinkle calls to that in my helper, I do feel guilty whenever I do it.

[eluser]migsy[/eluser]
This is a classic example of a bunch of *ssholes (apart from wiredesignz) trying to show off how clever and rhetoric they are instead of helping a poor guy that is trying to use CI for the first time. You guys carry on like this and will manage to deter anyone from using CI, seeing how helpful and welcoming the CI community is...

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Thanks migsy. If you find any other 14-month old threads that you feel need resurrecting - don't hesitate.

[eluser]migsy[/eluser]
i can see you haven't changed during the past 14 months. you are still as clever and rhetoric as before.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB