Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Quick Question

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
First of all, I apologise if this is the incorrect forum to post my query in.

I am currently writing an application, for an intranet/extranet solution.

The PHP is currently in procedural, and I'd like to know if, and how, I'd benefit if I moved the application onto the CI framework.

Since I have very limited OOP knowledge, I'd be a bit slow.

Best regards,
ct2k7

[eluser]brianw1975[/eluser]
There are several reasons to start moving it over to CI

a)It's already up and running! Just take working code and break it down into objects - this also will help your understanding of the project and will grow your abilities to recognize needs and requirements of projects.
2)It's a fantastic learning experience and by doing it you will improve your abilities and thus decrease your needed time in the future to make additions/changes/upgrades to that site.
tres)A basic requirement listed in most job ads is OOP PHP 5.2+
d)Since the site is already running, converting to CI doesn't have to be top priority.
5)With knowledge of OOP PHP methods, structures, DRY (don't repeat yourself) ideas it will give you a solid foundation for moving to AGILE programming through either Scrum, XP, TDD (Test Driven Development), etc, knowing those things increase your base salary as well (especially in places that don't already do that but are looking to do that)

Of course, all of the above assumes that the app is already up and running. Personally, I hate the procedural based site I am helping to debug/upgrade/modify... I want to strangle the programmer.

Anyways, loads of reasons to move to anything that is Object based

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
I'm not a huge fan of OOP .. but happily, neither PHP nor CodeIgniter take it hugely seriously. Or, if you prefer, you don't need to fully adopt the OOP way of thinking in order to get benefit from CI.

If you have PHP skills already, then I'd recommend you jump on board and start the migration - you'll work out pretty quick if it's making things easier or harder for you.

[eluser]pmoroom[/eluser]
One thing to remember is you still have access to the native PHP functions so if you don't know how to convert something you can pretty much leave as is and circle back to it. That's how I started and for the most part my code is all converted. I just need to comment it.....ugh!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB