Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Storing temporary images - is there a best practice approach?

[eluser]rvillalon[/eluser]
I have an "add product" section on my site in which I use flash+jquery to upload images relating to products. It saves images to my website before creating the product. So, sometimes, if I upload images and don't go through creating the product, it just sits in my server.

I'm trying to improve my system so I was wondering what would be a good way to temporary save the images?

In a nutshell, once a product is added, temporary images get linked to their respective product.

I figure I have two options:

Option 1 - Sepeaated
- Have a temporary upload directory (/temp_images)
- Have a saved upload directory (/saved_images) - once the user saves the product, the images get moved here
- Have an images_temp table to track the temporary images (file name, who it belongs to, upload datetime)
- Have an images_saved table to storehouse the saved images

Option 2 - Not separated
- Store all images (temporary or not) in one folder
- Have one image table to track the images

Everyday, I would run a script to clean up any temporary images laying around.

Which option is better? And why? If you have database design tips too, that would help!

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

[eluser]bretticus[/eluser]
I think the easiest option is Option 3
- Have a temporary upload directory (/temp_images)
- Have a saved upload directory (/saved_images) - once the user saves the product, the images get moved here
- Have a cron job and use a variation of the find command to delete images older than x number of days in the temp folder.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB