Odd characters on end of DB name on error page

#1
[eluser]Wittner[/eluser]
Hi,

I'm moving a CodeIgniter application to a new server. I've done this with CodeIgniter a few times now and generally don't experience any problems. However, right now I'm getting this error message (screenshot attached) and it has me stumped. The error message seems to be appending some non-standard characters onto the end of the database name and coming up with this error. This error message happens when I try to run the index of my app. There are two databases by the way in case that helps. This app. is already running happily on another server without errors. Any help appreciated,

cheers,

Wittner

attached...

#2
[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
It looks like you may have a MySQL CHARSET or COLLATION problem.

Check and see what your new database is set for.

Enjoy
InsiteFX

#3
[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
Sorry double post!

Enjoy
InsiteFX

#4
[eluser]Wittner[/eluser]
I thought the same but I changed both to utf-8 and made sure the database.php file was the same, but no joy!

cheers,

Wittner

#5
[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
In phpMYAdmin click on a table then structure, see if the collation is set to utf8_unicode_ci or utf8_general_ci. If not click on the operations tab and set your collation there. Charset should be utf8.

Enjoy
InsiteFX

#6
[eluser]Wittner[/eluser]
Deleted the troublesome database, copied over the database again via a sql export (changed everything to utf8 on the fly) and still the same result. This is driving me nuts. Any ideas?

cheers,

Wittner

#7
[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
It's not the database. CodeIgniter is saying it can't find the DB specified, which means somewhere in your database config file, that character is being parsed oddly. Check where you define the "xxxxxx_admin" database and see if there's a stray fancy quote or something.

#8
[eluser]Wittner[/eluser]
Thanks Aken,

I really, really looked closely at the settings in the database.php file yesterday when the same thing occurred to me, and everything seems fine. I'm going to check again today and hope for a doh! moment,

cheers,

Wittner

#9
[eluser]Wittner[/eluser]
Ok, just for the record. I opened the database.php file and edited the:

$db['default']['database'] = "xxx_my_admin";
entry to read:
$db['default']['database'] = "xxx_my_adminl";

that is to say, I added an 'l' on to the end of the db name. As I had found previously, this was giving me the same error but *without* the dodgy characters at the end of the name. I had previously messed around with a few versions of the name to try to force the error to give some other feedback I could use. Anyhow, this time, when I changed the db name back to the original by removing the 'l' - it worked! I don't know what to say - perhaps the error was staying in cache somewhere - but I closed down my FF browser and opened it again on each iteration of the problem. I dunno, sometimes being a programmer just sucks! At least I've got friendly and knowledgeable folk who's help I can rely on here. Thanks a million guys for your help, hopefully that's the end of that error,

cheers,

Wittner


Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  


  Theme © 2014 iAndrew  
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2019 MyBB Group.