Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Newibe - Is CI good for me?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi,

Im looking to create a content website based around images and galleries, as well as user accounts (free and premium) and also content uploads etc. This is way above my head so I will be hiring someone else to code it for me. However before I start, is CI a good framework for me to use for this kind of content? Im after a really lightweight system that will make creating this kind of website more straight forward.

Also, are there any existing basic front end / back end scripts aviliable that I would be able to use to build my project upon (for example that already have a user account system in place), or do I have to start from scratch?

[eluser]bigtony[/eluser]
Sounds like a Content Management System might suit your needs rather than CI. You can do all this and more with all CMSs, so you could take a look at this free one which is also easy to use:
[url="http://www.cmsmadesimple.org"]cmsmadesimple.org[/url]

You might find you no longer need to employ someone to do it for you, as it's pretty easy to learn if you have a basic understanding of websites.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
Or try Expression Engine...

[eluser]jayrulez[/eluser]
[quote author="Spadez" date="1252259781"]Hi,

Im looking to create a content website based around images and galleries, as well as user accounts (free and premium) and also content uploads etc. This is way above my head so I will be hiring someone else to code it for me. However before I start, is CI a good framework for me to use for this kind of content? Im after a really lightweight system that will make creating this kind of website more straight forward.

Also, are there any existing basic front end / back end scripts aviliable that I would be able to use to build my project upon (for example that already have a user account system in place), or do I have to start from scratch?[/quote]

You could do a search for "php image gallery scripts" on google if you haven't already. I'm almost sure there are quite a few free one's that meet your requirements.

[eluser]JasonS[/eluser]
check out buddypress.com

You can use CI for this and with a decent developer you should end up with a great product. However, there are faster and thus cheaper ways to create what you are after.

If you are looking for a completely bespoke system then go with CI. Otherwise check out some of the suggestions in this thread.

[eluser]jstnjns[/eluser]
For someone starting out, I would not go with a PHP framework, but a CMS (like many have posted here). As a designer and developer, I have to say that even though Wordpress was built for it's blogging capabilities, it does really well as a full blown CMS.

A GREAT plug-in (which is a great aspect of Wordpress, the ability to add on functionality to any theme/design) is the NextGen Gallery. It's very versatile, I've used it on many sites. http://nextgen.boelinger.com/

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
Just a recommendation, but you may find you get much better results if you leave it up to the person you hire to pick the platform they prefer after giving yourself an education. Basically give your basic spec as you have done so here, and ask them, "So, what would you do to build this application to fit these needs, and still be able to support changes, maintenance, and new features?"

CI is for building this solution from scratch. If you insist on that, that's fine - but if a developer has the knowledge and experience to go, "Jeesh, the XYZ system has all but one of the features you want, and I could whip that out in a few days, so we'd just need to do basic configuring and then move straight to how you want the site to look (template) and what you want to say (content) - and you can add the content yourself if you want".

It might not be that easy, as in my job my predecessor worked for 3-5 months in Joomla and built a system that was total crap and ended up being best to scrap entirely. The only thing I kept was the CSS/HTML template from Joomla, and now I realize its the cause of my site seeming a bit slow.

Insisting on certain tools and then looking for a craftsman is like picking a hammer and trying to find someone to swing it - you better hope you picked the right hammer, even without a full understanding of construction. Better to get a good craftsman and ask them what tool they should should be used.

[eluser]jstnjns[/eluser]
Good call @BrianDHall, nobody told the musician what instrument to use.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB