Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Anyone tried Sun's Project Kenai?

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
Anyone given this a try? I'm going to play with it a bit but just created a project, seems to take time to get up and working (project page it doesn't exist yet, but elsewhere says it does, so we'll see).

It's Sun's offering of software management ('more than just a forge'), and what I noticed was it's free and permits closed/restricted source projects. It has support for source control (CVS, SVN, and even git), bug tracking, forum, website, and tons of other goodies. Its in beta at the moment, but it seems really darn cool. I found it from a link inside Netbeans.

Project Kenai

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
It's certainly less ugly than SF, but still seems a poor cousin to github.

Curious what will happen to it as Oracle rationalises its various new assets <sic>.

I hadn't heard about that - I wonder if staff get laid off, would it be considered normalizing?

Well, so far the damn thing is broken and can't access my project. There's a real bad sign. I emailed Sun, and have begun holding my breath for a response...we'll see.

Update - Sun actually answered my email the very next day. Due to a feature change you couldn't choose License "Other" if you hadn't created a Wiki (which they use to create by default when you started a project, but was changed to being optional).

So just choose any license to start, create a wiki, then switch to 'other' if you prefer.

So far I'm happy, it very quickly and easily sets up chat, forum, basic webpage, wiki, wikihomepe, source control (Git, SVN, Mercerial, etc), issue tracker (bugzilli or JINI or something like that), mailing list, etc. Configurable permissions including hidden source if you don't want people able to see things before you are ready.

It's the best free offering I've seen and you can create 5 projects to start with, so I look forward to trying out source control once I've gotten there.

[eluser]sobencha[/eluser]
Project Kenai is tightly integrated into the newer versions of NetBeans IDE as well (from version 6.7 on, I believe) which is nice. You can set up new accounts, projects, collaborate with team members, etc. right from within the IDE. Kenai is definately a good option if you are looking to host and collaborate on an open source project AND are looking for a good Mercurial host (Bitbucket would be a recommendation if you need good Mercurial hosting and the ability to have open or closed source projects). My only real gripe initially was around the overall site navigation, I found it a touch confusing, but have since gotten used to it.

And just to clarify a previous comment, JIRA is the bug tracking software that is available through Kenai. It's great stuff really.

I'm liking Project Kenai so far, but the built-in feature with netbeans doesn't seem to really support Git source control very well at all. Seems like it might very well have better support for SVN, so I might play with that as well.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="jedd" date="1252559657"]
It's certainly less ugly than SF, but still seems a poor cousin to github.
[/quote]

I still agree with my earlier instance of myself on this one.

[quote author="jedd" date="1252559657"]
Curious what will happen to it as Oracle rationalises its various new assets <sic>.
[/quote]

Can't see anything on the site itself, but [url="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/29/oracle_sun_java_open_source/page2.html"]The Register's story on Oracle's recent announcements[/url] suggest that Kenai is not long for this world.

[eluser]Cro_Crx[/eluser]
BrianDHall: You can download git plugins for NetBeans, although last time I tried one maybe 4-5 months ago was still in alpha. Git on the command line is good enough, faster than using a GUI as well.

I'd look at using something like Project Kenai or even something like GitHub although i'm hosting my own private Git repository on my own server which is good enough for the moment.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="jedd" date="1264790902"]
Can't see anything on the site itself, but [url="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/29/oracle_sun_java_open_source/page2.html"]The Register's story on Oracle's recent announcements[/url] suggest that Kenai is not long for this world.
[/quote]

Now Oracle have said "I think we did a poor job at communicating our plans for Kenai.com to you," - with a fully story at [url="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/09/sun_oracle_exits/"]http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/09/sun_oracle_exits/[/url], where they suggest that Kenai will be kept after all.

There is doubtless very many Interesting Things happening inside Sunacle.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB