Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Scaffolding bug when table named 'case'

[eluser]maesk[/eluser]
Hi all

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I think so. I have a table in my DB called 'case'. When I load scaffolding for this table and want to create a new record I get the following error message:

An Error Was Encountered
Error Number: 1064
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'case LIMIT 1' at line 1
SELECT * FROM case LIMIT 1

This only happens when the table is called case. If I rename the table (e.g. to "case2" or any other name) then it works fine.

Edit: I just noticed that another MySQL error shows up when trying to insert a record with a field called "where". Probably these are just reserved words in MySQL then.
Sorry for posting as a possible CI bug.

[eluser]Glen Swinfield[/eluser]
You can use case - but the query would need to be SELECT * FROM `case` LIMIT 1. But it is best to avoid reserved words I find. And I don't think there is a way to make the scaffold escape the table name.

Same for `where`. Try to avoid these names because your finished SQL statements are going to be very tricky.

e.g. SELECT where from case where where in (1,2,3,4) !!!

[eluser]maesk[/eluser]
[quote author="Codepat" date="1185449563"]You can use case - but the query would need to be SELECT * FROM `case` LIMIT 1. But it is best to avoid reserved words I find. And I don't think there is a way to make the scaffold escape the table name.[/quote]

Yes, I didn't even find the place within CI where the SQL query is being constructed. What I don't understand: why is it ok to use most table names without quotes and others, such as 'case', only with quotes? Is it because 'case' is a reserved word in MySQL (cf. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/r...words.html)?
In this case <-- :-) I think MySQL should indicate this in its error message instead of simply calling it a "syntax error".

[quote author="Codepat" date="1185449563"]Same for `where`. Try to avoid these names because your finished SQL statements are going to be very tricky.

e.g. SELECT where from case where where in (1,2,3,4) !!![/quote]

:-)
You're right, "where" is a very unfortunate name for a table field. I simply changed it to "location" now.

Quote:I think MySQL should indicate this in its error message instead of simply calling it a “syntax error”.

That would be nice wouldn't it :-). Unfortunatley it's all about context, mysql is essentially dumb in this respect, and to be fair when it comes across a keyword it can't then go and check where it is in the string to gauge the context then return syntax or other error. This would be quite a lot of overhead.

Quote:why is it ok to use most table names without quotes and others, such as ‘case’, only with quotes

Technically you should escape all field and table names with `example`, but if the name is not ambiguous MySQL just assumes it is a field or table name, unless it is escaped with 'example', in which case it assumes it is data.

[eluser]maesk[/eluser]
Thanks for your reply. This makes sense. Maybe a final question:

What are these strange quotation marks called that MySQL expects for table names (`example`) and how do you enter them on your keyboard? I could never figure that out and always copy paste them from somewhere. The single quotation marks don't work, only these strange ones.

It's called a 'grave accent' according to wikipedia. You will find it (probably) on the top left of your keyboard - perhaps at the beginning of the row of numbers.

I'm using a laptop so the button configuration may differ from yours.

[eluser]maesk[/eluser]
Thank you very much, Codepat! Now I understand. I know the grave accent from French (e.g. "voilà") and now I could find it on my keyboard too (it's on the top right of my German keyboard, next to backspace).

Cheers!

[eluser]Drarok[/eluser]
I'd like to add another voice to this (admittedly old) thread.
I've just come across the same sort of problem with a field named "key".

Should CI not automatically add grave accents to fields and tables?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB