Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
A full real CI example website (see story inside)

[eluser]Johan André[/eluser]
Wow!
I really admire your work and the fact that you share this with us!
That actually inspires me to share my own work (when I'm happy enough with it!) Smile

You did a GREAT job and I will browse your code in more depth asap!

Regards!
Johan

[eluser]brianw1975[/eluser]
Dood, that so totally sucks... as the owner/admin/programmer/etc of a website that bends/pushes the rules of copyright I fear getting any C&D letter in the mail. Thanks for the contribution, please consider like others have said and put this in a public repository (github, sourceforge, etc) and then add it to the CI Wiki -- applications section (if you haven't done so already)

Nice! You extended the Form_validation class, haven't seen a lot of discussion on that.

Just taking a quick look through the code -- do you have any base sql information (tables, sample data, that you can release? (public domain songs could be used - nearly any of the Christmas songs should be ok, National Anthems are typically public domain also.)

Again, thanks for the contribution of code.

[eluser]gullah[/eluser]
[quote author="brianw1975" date="1252905699"]

Just taking a quick look through the code -- do you have any base sql information (tables, sample data, that you can release? (public domain songs could be used - nearly any of the Christmas songs should be ok, National Anthems are typically public domain also.)

Again, thanks for the contribution of code.[/quote]

http://www.unravelthemusic.com/schema.txt

That is the schema. You can input some basic information if you want it's pretty easy.

[eluser]brianw1975[/eluser]
Thanks!

[eluser]ervinter[/eluser]
Thanks a lot for the sharing

[eluser]renownedmedia[/eluser]
Did you consider spidering lyrics from other websites? Its not that hard really!

[eluser]gullah[/eluser]
If you look at the code that's exactly what I did when the made the change to the API which disallowed lyrics via the API. I was able to get the artist page, file_get_contents find the appropriate div and then substr it.

That's not the point though. This is http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/26/...ites_sued/

[eluser]renownedmedia[/eluser]
[quote author="gullah" date="1252920572"]If you look at the code that's exactly what I did when the made the change to the API which disallowed lyrics via the API. I was able to get the artist page, file_get_contents find the appropriate div and then substr it.

That's not the point though. This is http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/26/...ites_sued/[/quote]

Good point... Getting sued would not be a good thing...

[eluser]benoa[/eluser]
I'm really sad for you guys, but your decision for sharing your code is really nice. Thank you very much!

I actually had the same kind of experience with a previous projects, and that was really frustrating. APIs are such a great thing, but they suck when they're not from big companies such as Google and co.

Good luck with your next project Wink

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
I just wanted to also add my props to you for not letting all that work go to waste. There are plenty of people who have done things like this and just let all their work go to spoil, quietly ditching their code rather than letting it enrich others.

Best of luck to both of you in your future en devours, and I would highly recommend you put this together with perhaps some public domain songs just as an example of how cool your implementation is - and use it for a fantastic portfolio piece.

I can't accurately express how much more powerful a fully working, open code complex project is in helping to get a job than ANY resume. In this industry many people get hired without having a resume looked it, because its what you create that counts, so don't miss out on the chance to personally benefit from all this work.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get yourselves a blog and use that as the base for using this work to increase your reputation and use the 'audience' at least for additional learning and support, and to help find paying work when the time comes.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB