Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
advanced hotlinking block qustion

[eluser]Future Webs[/eluser]
Hi

Not specifically a CodeIgniter question here but I know we have talented people here that may be able to help.

The problem is this

I have a site that hosts mp3s and i already block people hot linking the files by using my htaccess file.

The other day whilst checking the site stats I noticed one file was being used far more then any other. After a bit of digging I found that the file was being hot linked from another domain but the htaccess file was not able to block it.

The reason it cant block it is because the mp3 file is being called from within a flash mp3 player hosted on the other site.

So the question is this.

How do I block files on my site from being called from within a flash file on an outside site ?

[eluser]kurucu[/eluser]
Does your htaccess block everything where the referrer isn't your site, or just there is no referrer? There's no good reason why a flash file should include it any easier than a normal browser, unless the flash file is spoofing headers (can flash do that?).

If the flash file acts as a browser, perhaps you could also filter for user agent (which could also later be spoofed, if that's what's happening for referrer).

So the answer might simple - add a check for the correct referrer, and block some user agents.

Or, it's hide all your MP3 files behind PHP/other, and require a captcha to be completed before that session can get to your music.

[eluser]Future Webs[/eluser]
my htaccess already blocks anything not coming from my site and works fine for images and other files its only when the files are hot linked from within a flash mp3 player that it manages to get around the htaccess.

had me stumped

i changed the file name of the file they were using for now so its less of a mission critical issue more something that baffled me

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB