Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Strange issue with Safari

[eluser]Kenneth Allen[/eluser]
Tested with CI 1.7.2 (latest available) and Safari 4.0.3 (latest available) under both Mac OS 10.5.8 and 10.6 with same results.

Sometimes when invoking an action (via a form submit mutton), the code executes but only the rotating action image is displayed in the tab header; nothing is actually updated on the screen. Stopping the request and adding trace (emit h4 tags with text) causes the logic to actually work, although it reports an error (different depending on whether the trace is before or after the redirect). Once that is done, removing the trace causes the entire thing to work, at least for a while. Invoke it so that it passes through some other logic path and it may exhibit the same issue.

Tried this with Firefox and it did not seem to exhibit this problem at all.

There does not seem to be anything wrong with the code, as once the trace is added and removed it works fine.

Anyone have any thoughts on why Safari alone would exhibit this problem?

[eluser]Tobz[/eluser]
I'm having the same issue (haven't tested well on 10.6 yet)

I thought it was that I had compression turned on, but after turning it off the problem persists.
I sometimes just get a blank page but after a few seconds (or a few minutes) it works properly again for a few minutes (sometimes only seconds).

I've tested in firefox 3.0.6, 3.5, opera 10 and they all work fine.
It seems to only affect safari 4.0.3 (haven't tested older versions) and only when using CI 1.7.2

Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I'll post here if I figure it out.

Thanks,
Toby

UPDATE:

Just tested on snow leopard, still having the issue there.
Safari 3.2.2 Windows does not have the problem.

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
This isn't a CI 1.7.2 issue for me. I have an iMac running the latest 10.5.x O/S, with Safari 4.0.3, and my contact form works just fine. I do however turn off output compression and flush() the output buffer before sending the email. Don't know what else to tell you. You obviously can't use caching for this type of page, but I wonder if Safari is somehow getting confused (assuming you post to the same controller). If you can reproduce this on a simple level, then you should submit a bug.

[eluser]Tobz[/eluser]
Hi Skunkbad,

I have tried turning output compression off with no effect. It's also not happening just on post requests but any page, at time. I'm also doing dynamic image resizing and those images fail to load a lot of the time as well (for the same reason)

Here is the site with the problem: http://www.kiwihits.co.nz/

I have another site on the same server using CI 1.7.2 and a buch of others, again on the same server, using older versions of CI. The older versions do not have the problem but the other 1.7.2 site does.

I'll try to find some time to build a test case to try and replicate the problem in a simplified case as you suggested.

Cheers.

UPDATE: just tested in safari 4.0.3 windows xp sp2. It IS affected.

[quote author="Tobz" date="1254727119"]Hi Skunkbad,

I have tried turning output compression off with no effect. It's also not happening just on post requests but any page, at time. I'm also doing dynamic image resizing and those images fail to load a lot of the time as well (for the same reason)

Here is the site with the problem: http://www.kiwihits.co.nz/

I have another site on the same server using CI 1.7.2 and a buch of others, again on the same server, using older versions of CI. The older versions do not have the problem but the other 1.7.2 site does.

I'll try to find some time to build a test case to try and replicate the problem in a simplified case as you suggested.

Cheers.

UPDATE: just tested in safari 4.0.3 windows xp sp2. It IS affected.[/quote]

I spent time on your website, using Safari 4.0.3 on Mac, and loaded many pages without having a problem. Not even one problem, which may confuse you even more I suppose. I must have loaded at least 30 pages or more.

[eluser]Tobz[/eluser]
[quote author="skunkbad" date="1254729454"]

I spent time on your website, using Safari 4.0.3 on Mac, and loaded many pages without having a problem. Not even one problem, which may confuse you even more I suppose. I must have loaded at least 30 pages or more.[/quote]

Damnit!

did you refresh the same page a bunch of times? It seems to happen more on manual refreshes than new page loads - although it still does happen on new page loads as well.

I have tried on multiple computers in multiple locations and get the same result across the board.

I didn't try refreshing the page a bunch of times... but I can try in an hour or so. I'll let you know.

Do this:

Add some no cache headers using a hook pre-controller and see what happens. Your current headers don't have anything related to no-cache.

It's all I can think of.

OK, I was able to reproduce the problem by reloading really fast. Prior to the page actually not loading, it wouldn't load that central image, so I'd start looking into the script that dynamically generates that image. It might be where the conflict is.

I tested my site once more, reloading fast to see if I had a problem, and my site does not.

[eluser]Tobz[/eluser]
I just found out that its a regression in Webkit. it currently affects Safari 4.x and webkit nightlies.
see this bug report: https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26621

I've found if you disable the cache via the developer menu I no longer get blank pages.
this is not too useful though.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB