Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI User Guide question

[eluser]rogierb[/eluser]
Quote:For legal purposes I’d imagine anything we distribute would need to be clear of any intellectual property concerns (ie: what if 1 of 876 people who contributed to the guide didn’t want us to share their work?). Do you have a mechanism in place for that?

Good point but a solution would be to let everybody that wants to contribute, agree to a some form of legal license regarding intellectual property.

Someone not willing to share cannot contribute. Thinking about it, what would be the point contributing when you do not want share?

[eluser]jdfwarrior[/eluser]
Excellent idea. Definitely something that would need to be addressed. As mentioned though, shared code would more than likely not be something distributed. I would have thought more a long the lines of, just the bare user guide being the distributable item, which means you could just not include certain portions. It could be done. There are a lot of bright guys roaming around here Smile I'm going to see if the guys would want to go ahead and get started with a few things asap.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
There's no reason to get caught up on possible EL integration at this point. The project mission would be to provide a new, well-structured, collaborative User Guide to service the Code Igniter community; not to out-do EllisLab and then pester them about integrating it.

And my initial thinking on having a static version would be to just to have a process that runs wget on the CMS site and then commits the result. And I'm sure doing the reverse is possible as well, so collaborators won't have to use the CMS interface to update content, they could just commit to the repo. The latter might be tricky but worth a shot if/when we reach that point.

I'm gonna leave this thread alone for now and focus on getting a better hub setup for this project.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Quote:There are a lot of bright guys roaming around here I’m going to see if the guys would want to go ahead and get started with a few things asap.

First step would be IA, which means 1.) Document current IA 2.) Modify to meet our needs. Basically all that needs to be accounted for is the new features: contributions, comments, et. al.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="Derek Allard" date="1255714110"]
I've already committed that we'll look at getting user comments into the CI docs (ala expressionengine.com/docs and PHP.net) but that likely won't happen until EE2 is out (we're announcing a release date at the end of the month).
[/quote]

A gentle reminder.

Once I have an insight into the rough timescale for what EL is likely to do (or unlikely to do - take your pick) it'll be easier to work out what I might (or might not - take your pick Wink try to do.

If you could extrapolate beyond the announcement of when EE2 is likely to arrive, and into the realm of when you reckon user comments would be likely to get into the CI docs, that'd be great.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
I don't know Jedd, I just don't. I'm not withholding anything from you, I just can't predict it, and besides, if EE2 has taught me anything it is to not make promises, even speculations, until I know exactly when something is out.

Is there something you want to do that requires this for you to move forward? Let's see how we can facilitate that without you needing to rely on me to get something done.

[eluser]basty_dread[/eluser]
i think codeigniter is really great.. improvement is sure to come.. thanks to the developer of this framework.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB