Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Can you create anything in Codeigniter?

[eluser]daparky[/eluser]
What the title says, can you create any application/idea in Codeigniter? E.g. Facebook etc.

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
I suppose the simple answer is ...well, yes.

Anything you can do with PHP you can do with CodeIgniter - CI is just a framework to make such tasks faster.

I suppose the better question is "Can you do it with PHP? If so, can CI make it faster and easier?" And generally the answer is yes.

[eluser]Philo01[/eluser]
I've been using codeigniter for 2 days now, and I'm building a custom application with almost no problems. I think that you can build almost everything using this framework. Smile

[eluser]Myles Wakeham[/eluser]
Well be somewhat careful with blanket statements like this. PHP/CodeIgniter is an awesomely powerful development framework for building all sorts of web based applications. I've built small systems through to huge enterprise PHP solutions with databases containing 400+ tables, and 1500+ stored procedures. All with PHP5 & CI.

But there are weaknesses (mainly in PHP rather than CI). The biggest problem we have encountered is large back-end database processing. We move most of this into stored procedures and run them within the DB when we can. But there are times (particularly with things like large imports) that PHP is just too slow to be workable. In those cases, and keep in mind we deploy solely on Linux, we have written our own binary apps for Linux to do the 'heavy load' work on the server and just call it from PHP. Now that works like a charm.

Also since the PHP application resides on a server, it has a very loosely coupled relationship with the client. Sure, you can use AJAX to communicate in a solid way with the browser. But if you need to talk to local hardware installed on a PC workstation, its going to be a challenge. Not impossible with a bit of local Java or some local application running on the PC using SOAP or something like that to communicate with CI, but still its not something that CI alone is going to be able to solve.

I'm sure there are hundreds of other examples where it just won't be a good fit (ie. embedded device control, real time hardware device handling, etc.). But for the average web application (big or small), it works like a tank. I've been developing in CI since 2006 and still am today. And I've written in a large number of languages before, with most of recent work in C++ & Delphi, so my expectations of a language are pretty high. PHP & CI has lived up to my expectations. Hope it does for you too.

Myles

[eluser]luffy[/eluser]
I think the answer is 'yes' Smile

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="Myles Wakeham" date="1253690327"]
But there are weaknesses (mainly in PHP rather than CI). The biggest problem we have encountered is large back-end database processing. [/quote]

That's is why PHP is a frontend language. All 'big' sites who use PHP (youtube, digg, facebook etc) all use it just to generate pages with some logic. The 'back-end' is almost always a language closer to the metal (either Python, C, C++, Java or whatever your particular taste is).

So the question should not be 'can you create anything in CI', but 'can you create anything in PHP', since CI is 'just a framework build on PHP'. If you read the Core files, there is no magic there (meaning there are some clever solutions there but it's not physics). It's just plain PHP.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB