Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is it possible to run/view CodeIgniter Locally?

[eluser]Gwarrior[/eluser]
How can this be accomplished?

Also... does anyone have a link to any guides that explain how to use HTML, CSS, PHP, and MYSQL without using the internet? As a developer going into my 10th year, I've always coded directly onto my server using FTP and as I write more complex codes, I find it EXTREMELY inefficient to upload each file every time I make the smallest of updates.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Signed,
A developer trying to fix his old bad habits

[eluser]arielicas[/eluser]
[quote author="Gwarrior" date="1253876334"]How can this be accomplished?

Also... does anyone have a link to any guides that explain how to use HTML, CSS, PHP, and MYSQL without using the internet? As a developer going into my 10th year, I've always coded directly onto my server using FTP and as I write more complex codes, I find it EXTREMELY inefficient to upload each file every time I make the smallest of updates.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Signed,
A developer trying to fix his old bad habits[/quote]

Hi dude try to use xaamp or wamp in http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Se...AMPP.shtml.

[eluser]Tom Schlick[/eluser]
10 years and you have never considered a local lamp stack?!?

Ha, I know. Rather disgusting.

I'm by no means less of a coder, but somehow I just left this BFG of a weapon out of my arsenal, ha.

Thanks for the replies!

[eluser]rogierb[/eluser]
FTP? Man, does that throw me back in time. I recall using that last century:-)

On windows: WAMP (or xxamp), subversion and a decent IDE.
And your server update is just a "svn up" away...

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
Or use a real OS ;-)

http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_lamp_for_newbies

[eluser]rogierb[/eluser]
lol, I knew that was comming.

I use XP only on the job. My main laptop is Ubuntu, Ibook is tiger, servers are Centos.
But unortunatley there is still some software where there is no replacement in either Linux or OSx.

Using Wamp now partnered with e-Text Editor and I can already tell work's going to get a little easier. Wink

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
As an aside, I love XAMPP - but I could not get it working properly with Xdebug on Vista 64-bit. XAMPP comes working with SSL which I'd really like, but I went back to Wamp because I was tired of the damn Apache crashing.

For another mind-blower you might look into Eclipse or Netbeans if you haven't already. Having in-line syntax checkers are surprisingly useful I've found - no more uploading and loading a page just to see you left out a . or a } or a ; or forgot to stick var/public/private/const on a class variable declaration.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
FWIW ...

I run Debian GNU/Linux. (For the three people that didn't already know.) This means my workstation *is* my web server and my database server (and for that matter, DNS and SMTP, etc). (I do actually have a real server, but it's in a different country - I wasn't allowed to drag multiple tower cases around the planet, more's the pity. But I digress.)

This means that my projects - the collection of files that are visible to the web server - are in my home directory (under ~/public_html). So as soon as I save a file from my editor or IDE, I alt-tab into the browser and hit ctrl-r to refresh the page. Nothing needs to get uploaded anywhere, so it's insanely fast .. and I'm astounded that people could choose to work with a slower and/or more convoluted work-flow.

If I was forced to use a feeble OS, I'd become a gardener. For people who don't find horticulture as appealing as I do, I'd suggest they install a virtual machine and run up a 'server' in there. I'd say Debian, because it installs small, it's rock solid and you don't want a GUI forced upon you, and the stable release requires precious little in the way of feeding and maintenance, but some of those benefits also apply to its various progeny (ha ha) such as (k)ubuntu.

So, this would mean downloading the free version of VirtualBox (OSE). And then grabbing a Debian netinst CD (110MB or less iso image) and then installing that in a virtualbox machine. Probably pulling in another 200MB of stuff (apache, php, mysql, git, samba and so on - all very easy to install). I'd then use samba inside that VM to present my home directory, or even /var/www , back to my Windows OS - and map a drive letter to same in my Windows environment. Subsequently all project activity would occur directly to that folder, making it immediately visible to the virtual machine's web server. It means I could keep the VBox application minimised pretty much permanently and my 'flow' would be fairly seamless. Also means I could pick up my VM and drop it onto my laptop if I wanted to take it with me, or for backups, etc.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB