Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Which session library to use? Any suggestions?

[eluser]RobertSall[/eluser]
[quote author="jedd" date="1263265660"]What's your $config['sess_cookie_name'] = 'cisession'; set to?

[quote author="RobertSall" date="1263265204"]
I don't think they're using IE 6 since it's almost dead now?
[/quote]

You'd hope / think so, but talking to a web master a couple of days ago and he reckoned they get about 5-10% of hits from IE6. And they run a fairly techy web site, so the 'real' numbers might be higher. It's pretty disturbing no matter which way you look at it.

Oh yeah - underscores in your hostname?

Time is set pretty accurately on the host?[/quote]
I've use this session name in config (which I haven't put on the live server yet, I'll do it in a couple of hours when the traffic goes down).
Code:
$config['sess_cookie_name']        = 'cisession';

No underscores in the hostname, and the time is correct, I've compared the date where the code does an input to the database with my local clock. The session expiration is set to it's defaultvalue; 7200 seconds.

About IE6, too bad that many users still using it, at least I know that one user who had this logout issue didn't use IE6, he had IE 8 Tongue .

Edit;
I checked which cookies my site created and found out 2 cookies, one with www. and one without www, may this be a problem?

Edit again;
I checked with another user who had this problem, and he used FireFox. Is there any way to accidentally remove the session somehow in the script? The only thing I do with session is to set flashdata every now and then.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
Do you maybe use a lot of Ajax in your site because that might be the cause: take a look here.

Curiously enough, we have been using default CI cookie-sessions since forever and apart from the 'IE-weirdness' we don't seem to have half as much issues as the rest of the world :-S

[eluser]RobertSall[/eluser]
[quote author="n0xie" date="1263321454"]Do you maybe use a lot of Ajax in your site because that might be the cause: take a look here.

Curiously enough, we have been using default CI cookie-sessions since forever and apart from the 'IE-weirdness' we don't seem to have half as much issues as the rest of the world :-S[/quote]

Yes I'm using alot of AJAX request and I'll try that fix, many thanks.

[eluser]shinokada[/eluser]
@n0xie: Can you tell us what kinds of weirdness you have?

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="shinokada" date="1263324120"]@n0xie: Can you tell us what kinds of weirdness you have?[/quote]
IE will drop your cookie if your date/time is not setup correctly. Furthermore it will drop your cookie if it has an underscore in it.
You can read more here and here or take a look at my sig. :-)

[eluser]Chillahan[/eluser]
Can you clarify on how important the time issue is? For example, if the client is off by more than the session time set on the server, does this mean the sessions will/might have problems?

Also, does anyone have more info on why it is that IE8 seems to work for the most part, but only here and there are issues? I have tested on more than 100 implementations personally with no issue, but have had two confirmed cases in the field where users were NOT able to log into a CI-powered site.

Unfortunately these two cases were end clients of my client and there was no feasible way to ask them to allow me to remote in. The only way I can simulate the error is to turn of cookies entirely. Thus it seems there's only certain variants or ways of setting up IE8 that cause this.

I just wish I could get more info from anyone who might know about what specifically causes this so I could set up a test bed to ensure my recent fixes might alleviate the issue for that 1-2% of users who will have issues.

[eluser]pickupman[/eluser]
I have had the same issues with user time settings as well. I had 30 min cookies, and near a time change user's could not log in if your clock is off by more than the session length.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB