Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
I really need to know a few things, and can't find the answers. please help. [beginner]

[eluser]mrwhite[/eluser]
Dear forum members,

I would like to start by saying grace for everyone in CI community for making such a wonderful framework.

I am actually a .NET developer but right now need to finish a project in PHP, thus I've chosen CI.

My problems, questions are simple, yet I can't find an answer.

1st) This is going to be a multi lingual site. What is the logic behind making a ML site in CI? Can you please explain, if possible with some simple examples?

2nd) I do need to have a constant footer and bottom view which needs to appear on top and bottom bit of every single page, and, the actual page between the middle. How do I get to do this? Have a constant template? Do I have to use extra libraries such as "Most Simple Template Library for CodeIgniter" that I've found on the internet? Any other simpler way?

3rd) For paging, again, which way do you suggest? Can I go with a regular PHP Query handling and paging systems or, is there a special CI way?

Thank you so very much, have a brilliant day everyone!

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
1. Take a look here : i18n support or URI_Language_Identifier
2. Search the forum, there are literally tons of simple ways to achieve this. Take a look at MY_Controller for instance.
3. There is a paging library for CI.

[eluser]Flemming[/eluser]
Just to expand on n0xie's answer to number 2:

The basic principal is you load views within your controller, so for example if you have a controller to handle your pages (let's call it pages.php) and within that controller you a method called 'about' for the About Us page ... that method can load 3 views - your standard header, your 'about us' view and your standard footer.

Code:
$this->load->view('standard_header');
$this->load->view('about_us');
$this->load->view('standard_footer');

then when you visit yoursite.com/pages/about you will get a page rendered from the 3 views

Hope that's not insulting your intelligence! :-\

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Just to expand on flemming's expansion on n0xie's answer to number 2.

Go to the wiki.

Click on FAQ.

Marvel at the fact that the question you've asked is in there (at number three). A forum search (again, not much effort to do) would show this question pops up every 36 hours or so.

I suggest a cursory glance at the [url="http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-guide/toc.html"]table of contents[/url] of the manual would be helpful - the Pagination Class and the Language Class being good places to start.

[eluser]mrwhite[/eluser]
First of all, I would like to start by thanking everyone for valuable answers and comments.
I've read and considered all your suggestions. They were all helpful.
Even though I've read some forum topics, I couldn't find the exact thing I wanted. My bad.
And I had no idea CI Wiki was this brilliant, containing fantastic information, time savers.. Perfect!
From now on, I know what to do before asking on here.

Now I have another question, which has also been answered before by others, but the reason I am asking this AGAIN is simple : I want your own personal opinion about this matter.

Is there anyway that all CI applications can be hacked-messed up etc. by some security issues in the future? Or, our apps are as good as we code, and CI library has no effect on how secure it is?

Thank you.

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
If you read the user guide on security it should answer your question.

As far as application this out of CodeIgniter's hands, it boils down to how secure is PHP version.

CodeIgniter has its own buildin methods for security.

Enjoy
InsiteFX

[eluser]mrwhite[/eluser]
InsiteFX, thank you for sparing some time to reply.

Yes, in deed I've read everything written in the User Guide on security.

That is why I clearly stated in my question that I want YOUR (people's) -personal- opinion about the matter.

After all, a problem with a library or a function can be abused in all systems that use CI. So I wanted, and still do, want to hear your opinion, and experiences.

Thanks again.

[quote author="InsiteFX" date="1254529514"]If you read the user guide on security it should answer your question.

As far as application this out of CodeIgniter's hands, it boils down to how secure is PHP version.

CodeIgniter has its own buildin methods for security.

Enjoy
InsiteFX[/quote]

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
Well knowing CodeIgniter, they will have an update as soon as any new security problems pop up.

Enjoy
InsiteFX

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
I think you're confusing a framework with something like a CMS (Joomla and all the horror stories going with it).

A framework hands you a bunch of tools, to make you life as a programmer easier. As such, the sole responsibility for writing secure code lies entirely on you.

[eluser]mrwhite[/eluser]
I am not a newbie programmer, neither a newbie PHP programmer. It's been a long long time -since I used php & mysql- and these compact web frameworks are rather new to me.
Thus, no, I am most certainly not confusing a framework with an app. In deed I have never ever used an app of that sort either. I don't trust anyone else's codes and systems, and I mostly work on desktop apps, mostly coding with .net or java.

I just want-ed- to be sure.

If you would have read my first post carefully, you wouldn't be having that delusion that I might be confusing the two.

I know a FW is handing a bunch of tools and all that jazz, like anyone whose profession turns around coding and software, the point is, there can be always errors and ways to abuse them. So, like any other real programmer coming from C-.NET-Java-desktop programming background, working on valuable projects, I'm being suspicious about online web scripting languages and ready made FWs and systems. I can't jeopardize security.

So long story short, no confusion, just trying to figure out more and more and being sure.
Hope you manage to understand that.
Thank you for your time.

[quote author="n0xie" date="1254581394"]I think you're confusing a framework with something like a CMS (Joomla and all the horror stories going with it).

A framework hands you a bunch of tools, to make you life as a programmer easier. As such, the sole responsibility for writing secure code lies entirely on you.[/quote]

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB