Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
I have a few quesitons about CodeIgniter

[eluser]mkingston[/eluser]
Since I'm just new to CodeIgniter in the past 2 days, I have posted these questions also on Introducing Myself.

I just stumbled upon Codeigniter by accident, while searching for information on Doctrine. Codeigniter really appears to be very powerful and easy to use. I have a few questions, that I’m sure some of you would be able to answer for me.

First, I would like to know how Codeigniter implements AJAX. Are there existing classes that I can use and extend or would I need to start from scratch, writing my own?

Second, I would like to know if there are any examples on how to integrate Doctrine with Codeigniter. Alternatively, does Codeigniter include it’s own ORM with database abstraction?

Third, I would like to know if there are any included examples on how to integrate Smarty or is it more advisable to utilize the template concept within Codeigniter.

Forth, I would like to know if/how CodeIgniter implements i18n.

I am just starting to re-develop an old legacy system to implement on the web. In fact, I had pretty much already settled on another framework, which includes dependency injection. I really like the idea of the dependency injection, but the framework is very new and has few users, so I’m no considering Codeigniter. Any guidance you all could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Merrill

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
For AJAX and Doctrine, check a forum search or poke around in Ignited Code forum or the wiki. I've seen many doctrine threads for its various versions, and for AJAX there may be a few.

On ORM, I highly recommend you checkout Datamapper OverZealous Extension (DMZ) over in Ignited Code. I love it dearly, it's all I've ever wanted in an ORM system and it has a few great extensions that handle arrays and HTML forms most ingeniously.

For Smarty, I recently saw a post around about a Smarty library someone put together to ease use of Smarty in CI, so you might check that out. I just consider Smarty one more system to learn, so I just stick with pure php in my Views.

For internationalization, I'll have to leave that to someone who is more familiar with that - I'm pretty well mono-lingual.

[eluser]mkingston[/eluser]
Thanks Brian. I'll check out your suggestions. I hope someone has the answer to the i18n issue, because it would be a deal breaker without it. The reason I would like to use Smarty is to better facilitate changes to the user interface. I have a pretty fickle bunch of users and they all think their version of the mouse trap is best.

Thanks again,

Merrill

[eluser]Kepler[/eluser]
Hi Merrill,

For Ajax I use the jQuery javascript library to send the request which calls a method in one of my controllers to get a response. It is actually very easy to do.

I wrote up my own integration of Smarty in CodeIgniter here: http://www.coolphptools.com/codeigniter-smarty

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Kepler,

Great doc! Thanks had my Smarty setup in minutes.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB