Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What is your favorite editor for php

[eluser]Tommy Liu[/eluser]
Dear all,

What is your favorite editor for php? I want to know that which editor is the best partner with php. Dreamweaver, netbeans or any other choice? Thank you.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Hi Tommy,

Unsurprisingly, this question pops up every few minutes.

Try searching the forums for more insight.

Here's a couple of threads for you to be starting with:

[url="http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/44677/"]What editor are you igniting your code with?[/url]

[url="http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/120629/"]Editor for codeigniter[/url]

[eluser]Daniel Moore[/eluser]
The most recent such topic is "Favorite editor".

And of course, for a CodeIgniter specific editor discussion:
What editor are you igniting your code with?

[eluser]praveens[/eluser]
Dreamweaver is the best

[eluser]Daniel Moore[/eluser]
Forgive this post. I'm not intending to bash. I'm sure you're a fine person, but I hate the product you mentioned.

I refuse to work with designers that want to use Dreamweaver to design the HTML after I've set up an application.

I'd rather use Windows Notepad than Dreamweaver, but since I have a real choice, I chose UltraEdit. Nothing tops it. If you want free software, then you won't be looking at Dreamweaver anyway. UltraEdit does everything you can do in Dreamweaver and then some, but it's a lot heavier on the programming IDE end, not "let me tell you how to code that". It's a fraction the price of Dreamweaver, too, and, for the advanced user, it will have a lot more advanced tools. If you really don't know how to program for the web, then Dreamweaver is your tool of choice. A real programmer will use a real editor to get down and dirty with the code.

[eluser]Tommy Liu[/eluser]
Thank you for your reply.

[eluser]Jondolar[/eluser]
[quote author="Daniel Moore" date="1256163803"]Forgive this post. I'm not intending to bash. I'm sure you're a fine person, but I hate the product you mentioned.

I refuse to work with designers that want to use Dreamweaver to design the HTML after I've set up an application.

I'd rather use Windows Notepad than Dreamweaver, but since I have a real choice, I chose UltraEdit. Nothing tops it. If you want free software, then you won't be looking at Dreamweaver anyway. UltraEdit does everything you can do in Dreamweaver and then some, but it's a lot heavier on the programming IDE end, not "let me tell you how to code that". It's a fraction the price of Dreamweaver, too, and, for the advanced user, it will have a lot more advanced tools. If you really don't know how to program for the web, then Dreamweaver is your tool of choice. A real programmer will use a real editor to get down and dirty with the code.[/quote]

I'm a real programmer and I use Dreamweaver. Therefore, I feel like you may not know what you are talking about. Dreamweaver does have some automated features that build code and HTML for you and that code/HTML is not what I would call "best practices". Alternatively, and for us "real programmers", we can do exactly what we want with our code, both with PHP and HTML. Dreamweaver does not get in the way. It's support for FTP uploading is great too. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get it to do code completion with Code Igniter. I use PHP Designer which does code completion and a lot of other things real well, but as an overall editor, it is immature and does some strange things. I'm working with NetBeans which seems to be an awesome editor but I can't get code completion to work on my own classes loaded by the framework either.

In conclusion, please feel free to talk about things you are familiar with but you might want to refrain from talking about things that you don't really know about because it makes you look like someone who doesn't know what they are talking about IMO. Well, that's my opinion :-)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB