Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is CodeIgniter ready for non-latin domains?

[eluser]talent03[/eluser]
So ICANN has been working on getting non-latin domains ready by next year. Can codeigniter cater to these people? Just a question to be brought up to the community as we may be seeing them soon enough.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...826D93.DTL

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
I have the incredible urge to respond entirely using a non-latin character set.

...but I don't know how Sad

[eluser]Jamie Rumbelow[/eluser]
I believe the next release of CodeIgniter will support FULL UTF-8 support - as it stands it's support is pretty good/damn on near perfect. Although you'll never get a totally UTF-8ized application until we get PHP6, which is going to take a very, very long time. Fingers crossed it'll work!

Jamie

[eluser]talent03[/eluser]
[quote author="Jamie Rumbelow" date="1256615223"]I believe the next release of CodeIgniter will support FULL UTF-8 support - as it stands it's support is pretty good/damn on near perfect. Although you'll never get a totally UTF-8ized application until we get PHP6, which is going to take a very, very long time. Fingers crossed it'll work!

Jamie[/quote]

Would this full UTF-8 support include ways to have the full uri in non-latin characters? Or would each one have to be redirected in the code because it wouldn't recognize the function to run. If so, how would that even work? I can already imagine problems with the form validation as we would have to check for non-latin characters now.

[eluser]Jamie Rumbelow[/eluser]
[quote author="talent03" date="1256616256"][quote author="Jamie Rumbelow" date="1256615223"]I believe the next release of CodeIgniter will support FULL UTF-8 support - as it stands it's support is pretty good/damn on near perfect. Although you'll never get a totally UTF-8ized application until we get PHP6, which is going to take a very, very long time. Fingers crossed it'll work!

Jamie[/quote]

Would this full UTF-8 support include ways to have the full uri in non-latin characters? Or would each one have to be redirected in the code because it wouldn't recognize the function to run. If so, how would that even work? I can already imagine problems with the form validation as we would have to check for non-latin characters now.[/quote]

I can't see why it wouldn't. CodeIgniter only really uses your base_url in the helpers and libraries such as the URL helper, and never needs to check anything against it. The only conflicts I can see happening are with internal PHP functions that don't support non-latin characters. CodeIgniter's pretty flexible that way.

Jamie

[eluser]dsims[/eluser]
It's not "legal" yet but it is going to happen eventually, might as well prepare for it now
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/idn/

[eluser]dsims[/eluser]
I would think that they will do the whole Uri. With all the talk about accessibility.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB