Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
MMO - Networking related question, Building a framework for MMO games

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I am in the process of building a template for what will become a MMO game server and client.

The plan is to have 2 solutions ...
1. Client
2. Server

The Client solution will consist of the the client application as well as the "modular components" that will make up the complete user experience.

My plan was to use reflection to read the modules (assemblies) in a modules folder then call a default constructor on all classes that contain a particular attribute.

This model means that my client application can be compiled and added to in a modular fashion meaning i can effectively "plug and play" new features.

The server model would work pretty much the same living in its own solution that would consist of projects for the world server, login server, account server, ect making the server scaleable.

So that's a bit about current model.

Now my problem is how to handle the networking architecture.
Personally my expertise lies in the asp.net web model using web services and http for most of my operations but due to the huge overhead that comes with using soap envelopes I have decided that this is not going to cut it in a game.

I was thinking about using either .net remoting (very hard to get working right) or building a sockets based system that serialised a message object containing details of the operation to be performed and any arguments that needed passing.

Both are likely to be very complex so I thought before I go diving in I would "ask the experts" what they thought the best approach to networking in games is that they had seen and why the system works well.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
I don't mean to keep banging on about it, but REST would do this perfectly:

Slides from EECI2009
Post explaining my implementation

You can combine this REST with Matchbox or Modular Separation, meaning you have modular client code looking at a centralised data server.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Phil, the OP is a spammer.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
Ahh well, this topic has had 31 reads. If anyone was curious how to do this, now they know. ;-)

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Banned and links removed... but kept this post so it can help people in the future.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I do like the way... [mod edit... removing spam. You're kidding right?]

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB