Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
A question about domain.tld/username configuration and possible controller collision

[eluser]vokic[/eluser]
Hey, my question is not about how to setup that pattern but about avoiding username = controller collision.

For example if I use .htaccess to remove index.php from the url and if I want users to have their homepage like domain.tld/username (like on twitter for example) how can I prevent someone from registering like settings for example, or checkThis if I plan or do not know yet what controller names I will have in future? Maybe someone registers like goodies and I decide to offer some goodies too in the future and I would like to have that as a controller..

I know I can create a list and check against that list but who knows what reserved names I will need in the future when application gets bigger?

How would you go about this?

And I know I can use wildcard domains to produce something like username.domain.tld but on a shared hosting it is not an option...

Thanks in advance...

[eluser]Ben Edmunds[/eluser]
You could use class exists and method exists but that wouldn't work unless the file is already included/loaded. The only other dynamic way I can think of is to check if the controller file exists.

[eluser]vokic[/eluser]
Hey thanks for the fast response, but I think you've kinda missed my point.

It is not about current controllers or methods but about reserving names for future usage.

As more as I think about it I don't see a unique solution than to think in advance and make a list of possible future controllers.. Which is very hard sometimes.. Smile

Oh, well the cheapest way to do it would be to start all your controllers with some sort of prefix and then just add the prefix with routes.

[eluser]vokic[/eluser]
Right.. But then I would have to incorporate that prefix within urls.. But maybe we can reverse that idea and put something like this: domain.tld/~username which is not that scary.. Hmmmm.. or even domain.tld/_username..

It's not perfect but hey.. Thanks man...

No you wouldn't have to put that prefix in the url, that's what the route is for.

You just wouldn't have any users named whateverprefix_username.

[eluser]vokic[/eluser]
Okay can you give an example of that theory?

What I understood is this for instance...

controller named prefix_goodies
route $routes['goodies'] = 'prefix_goodies'; ?
and we have a user with username goodies

Url for user profile and goodies controller without prefix in url would be: domain.tld/goodies right?
Or I am missing something here from what you said?

You are right. Looks like I didn't completely understand again. Sorry.

[eluser]vokic[/eluser]
No problem... And this is really not a big deal or something of ultimate importance anyway Smile

I was just curious to see if somebody has a full proof solution for this situation..

Easy way out is to ditch the cheap hosting and get a decent VPS or something with wildcard support for username.domain.tld Big Grin But hey, you can't blame a man who want's to see the crowd response before he starts anything serious.. Right? Smile

So far that idea you gave me with domain.tld/~username seems like a logical choice.. Or I wlll just sit down and write some possible future controllers out of the head Smile

Thanks again...

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB