Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Installation Question

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi all,

I'm about to load CI 1.7.2 on an XP Pro machine runnning Apache 2.2 and PHP 5.2.1

Please forgive me if these seem stupid questions.

Reading the instructions, I'm unsure of some things:

<quote>
CodeIgniter is installed in four steps:

1. Unzip the package.
2. Upload the CodeIgniter folders and files to your server. Normally the index.php file will be at your root.
3. Open the application/config/config.php file with a text editor and set your base URL. If you intend to use encryption or sessions, set your encryption key.
4. If you intend to use a database, open the application/config/database.php file with a text editor and set your database settings.
<quote>

1. Should I unzip to a separate directory? And recopy the "blank" files when needed?
2. "index.php will be at your root" - document root of the server? Is that where I copy the contents of the zip file?
3. If I am currently working on a local server, should the base URL be "http://localhost"?
4. Is "application" a literal, or the name of the application I'd be developing?

Thanks!

Kevin

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="kevinpray" date="1258357514"]
1. Should I unzip to a separate directory? And recopy the "blank" files when needed?
[/quote]

Yes, if you like - or just rely on the .zip file to recover / recreate. Or even just rely on grabbing the .zip again from the CI site - it's only a few meatybytes.

Quote:2. "index.php will be at your root" - document root of the server? Is that where I copy the contents of the zip file?

Try it and see.

Wherever you extract the contents of the zip must have web server visibility. It might be the server's docroot, or it might be further down the directory structure. In either case, index.php will be at the top of the CI directory structure.

Quote:3. If I am currently working on a local server, should the base URL be "http://localhost"?

Probably. Well, definitely IF you are installing the CI stuff to your docroot. Otherwise it'll be to whatever path you install it to.

Try it and see.

Quote:4. Is "application" a literal, or the name of the application I'd be developing?

Open the archive and see.

Aside - I sense way too much cautiousness here. Opening archives, copying files around, these activities rarely break anything beyond repair, and generally engenders much knowledge in the process.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB