Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
taxes, zipcodes, ecommerce

[eluser]tomdelonge[/eluser]
My website will allow people to order items I have in my store. From tax laws, I only have to pay taxes on orders that will be shipping to those who live in the same state as me. (United States Smile )So, what point of the checkout should I ask for a zipcode? And then, how do I calculate whether or not they live in my state? Does anyone know how zipcodes work? Or do I just have to put every zip code from my state into the db and if one matches then add on taxes?

Any ideas?

[eluser]eric cumbee[/eluser]
i would ask for the zip before you present the total with tax and shipping (as tax will be determined by zip code. easiest way to figure out what state it is, to buy a zip code data base that will have the city state zip code, lat, long in it. then it is as simple as select state where zip = $zip

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
If you are trying to find out what state they are in, why are you trying to do this via zipcode and not the actual state? Surely you are already asking the state via a form?

[eluser]tkyy[/eluser]
i have done alot of work with zipcodes. i coded a few "who is near me" options with longitude and latitude values in the database. basically get yourself a nice db dump of the zipcodes and you can manipulate that data any way you want to.

unfortunately i cannot give you the database because my company purchased it, or id just post it here. but i do believe you can google and get a free version with less data, just city names and numbers.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB