Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Anyone looked at "CodeIgniter 1.7"

[eluser]Tom Schlick[/eluser]
[quote author="stuffradio" date="1259794964"][quote author="Jamie Rumbelow" date="1259791842"]it's clear that the authors both use Windows,[/quote]

Using a Mac or Windows computer has nothing to do with grammar and spelling. Get off your high elitist horse just because you use a Mac. I use a Mac and Windows, this is not needed. It's people like you that are wrong with the Mac community.[/quote]

chill out girl scout.

[eluser]jtkendall[/eluser]
[quote author="stuffradio" date="1259794964"][quote author="Jamie Rumbelow" date="1259791842"]it's clear that the authors both use Windows,[/quote]

Using a Mac or Windows computer has nothing to do with grammar and spelling. Get off your high elitist horse just because you use a Mac. I use a Mac and Windows, this is not needed. It's people like you that are wrong with the Mac community.[/quote]

Jamie's comment about the authors using windows has nothing to do with the spelling and grammar. They are two separate points.

---

I'm supposed to be getting a review copy of this at some point in the future. It's sounding like it's a pretty bad book, but everyone has their own opinions, so I'll just have to see when I actually get a chance to read it.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
It's pretty sad, from both angles -- I'm sure a hell of a lot of work went into writing the book.

I hate Microsoft Windows users that think that people that hate Microsoft Windows are necessarily Apple Mac users.

It's so unfair - I think Apple Mac and Microsoft Windows are comparably poor.

[eluser]stuffradio[/eluser]
[quote author="jedd" date="1259814052"]It's pretty sad, from both angles -- I'm sure a hell of a lot of work went into writing the book.

I hate Microsoft Windows users that think that people that hate Microsoft Windows are necessarily Apple Mac users.

It's so unfair - I think Apple Mac and Microsoft Windows are comparably poor.[/quote]

I'm sure there are Linux users who feel the same way as Apple users, but I use a bit of everything. I'm a Developer (Windows/Mac), System Admin (Linux), etc.

I hang out on Apple websites too much and that's all I ever see. You'd think it's a Microsoft website considering how much Microsoft is discussed on them. That is my rationale for only ever attributing Microsoft hatred to Apple fanboys.

My laptop had Ubuntu on it, I've dabbled with Slackware (when it was around version 10.1), I've played with Debian, Cent OS etc.

I don't know, the main two computers I use are Windows and Mac because I make apps for my iPhone.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
[quote author="stuffradio" date="1259831509"]I'm sure there are Linux users who feel the same way as Apple users, but I use a bit of everything. I'm a Developer (Windows/Mac), System Admin (Linux), etc.

I hang out on Apple websites too much and that's all I ever see. You'd think it's a Microsoft website considering how much Microsoft is discussed on them. That is my rationale for only ever attributing Microsoft hatred to Apple fanboys.

My laptop had Ubuntu on it, I've dabbled with Slackware (when it was around version 10.1), I've played with Debian, Cent OS etc.

I don't know, the main two computers I use are Windows and Mac because I make apps for my iPhone.[/quote]

We don't care dude, this is a thread about the CodeIgniter 1.7 book.

Well it seems agreed, this sucks. Who is looking forward to the CodeIgniter book by Adam Griffiths?

[eluser]Crimp[/eluser]
Cut the authors some slack. Having published myself, and also worked with a major publisher in the process, you would probably not be suprised to learn that publishers usually want everything to be a "bible" and that the target demographic tends to be "everyone". Big, big sales to everyone, you know. That's why every book on a subject ends up covering the same stuff over and over and over again. And then everyone wonders why everyone did not buy a book covering what everyone should know and everyone already knew.

If someone wanted to write a CI book to expand usefully on the User Guide, I'd like to see one on how to best use CI with common patterns - CRUD etc. In other words, practical solutions to common programming problems. Something more in the spirit of O'Reilly's 100 hacks than a procedural guide taking the CI novice from beginner to someone capable of cut and paste in the last chapters. Such a book, patterns with CI code, could actually target this "everyone" much better.

[eluser]stuffradio[/eluser]
[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1259849344"][quote author="stuffradio" date="1259831509"]I'm sure there are Linux users who feel the same way as Apple users, but I use a bit of everything. I'm a Developer (Windows/Mac), System Admin (Linux), etc.

I don't know, the main two computers I use are Windows and Mac because I make apps for my iPhone.[/quote]

We don't care dude, this is a thread about the CodeIgniter 1.7 book.

Well it seems agreed, this sucks. Who is looking forward to the CodeIgniter book by Adam Griffiths?[/quote]

lol ok. I haven't read any CodeIgniter books before besides the User Guide. I have no idea what the "standard" is in CodeIgniter books so I can't really say if it sucks or not.

I have had my share in reading programming books, so far the only one I've liked is a book about iPhone development. The style of showing you code and telling you about it helped me learn about the SDK.

[eluser]jovaniwayne[/eluser]
Just looking @:What you will learn from this book, I am expecting a bit more exciting content that is hard to find on the internet. say maybe their own created tricks on using CI or their own styles used in CI development or something. I'am not impressed either Sad

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB