Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Use Ocular? Need your suggestions...

[eluser]kilishan[/eluser]
Starting the planning phases for Ocular v2.0 and I want to know your thoughts on the library.

After working with it on a few more sites (and building a 'stripped-down' version for a small CMS using Matchbox) I did run into a few areas that I feel need work. In short, it needs to be more CodeIgniter-like.

- Matchbox doesn't work with it currently, and that should be fixed, especially since the rumor has it that CI 2.0 will support modules. The render_partial feature isn't needed since a standard $this->load->view will do the job.
- I have this gut feeling that the simple caching that it's using is making extra file_exists checks which should be removed.
- The caching in general doesn't seem robust enough. I'm thinking of removing it and focusing on just displaying the page. The user can then choose their caching method of choice, but not convinced either way yet.
- The script/style functions need to use similar syntax.
- I'm thinking of removing the minification/combination features for scripts and styles. I've become very fond of cssScaffold which makes that pointless, at least for CSS. I haven't investigated similar solutions for javascript yet. Would you miss this feature?
- I would like to somehow separate the theme (look/feel) from the structure, but I don't know if that's necessary in the vast majority of use cases.
- Wanting to investigate using either blocks or inheritable templates or something else to expand the flexibility of the templating. Preferences?
- and probably more that I haven't thought of yet. Smile

What are the problem areas for you? What do feel the strong points are that shouldn't be changed? What would you like to see new in it? Do you like the auto-page names or is that just getting in the way?

Thanks for your input guys, and I'm glad that some of you are getting good use out of it.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB