Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter API (PHPDoc or similar?)

[eluser]tmcw[/eluser]
Hey all, doing a bit of development with CodeIgniter and I've noticed that the official docs are friendly and very useful, but far from comprehensive and not very quick, as far as getting information. Is there a class reference other than the "Quick Reference" (which isn't all that great, doesn't show arguments, etc)?

Thanks,
Tom

[eluser]johnwbaxter[/eluser]
To be honest i thought that the user_guide was more than adequate for letting you know what does what.

If you want to have more info, you could always run documenter on the source code?

[eluser]Crimp[/eluser]
I think "comprehensive" is the term that best covers the user guide. Without the NOT. Agree about the benefits of a short summary. If you are using BBEdit, I compiled the entire API into clippings with the arguments from the user guide as placeholders. It makes for a good reference in your application menu. It's in the CI wiki.

[eluser]tmcw[/eluser]
It's not comprehensive as far as code goes... and I'm using jEdit, so no luck with BBEdit.

[eluser]kamilko[/eluser]
Hello
For just reading and wandering I'm using pages generated by Doxygen.
For jEdit "jumping to" i use Tags plugin (with generated tags with ctags program). Just install Tags plugin and read help for this.

"the user_guide was more than adequate for letting you know what does what"
user_guide is more than "not good enough" when your projects are complicated more than "blog site in 15 minutes" ;-)
Many of useful parameters are omited in user_guide. Some useful functions too.

Regards

[eluser]johnwbaxter[/eluser]
I will agree with kamilko on that front, i have noticed some things omitted from the user_guide that are in the framework.

Lord knows why as they are as useful as the rest of the CI stuff.

I'm sure they have just forgotten or something.

Wasn't there an alternative user_guide setup somewhere in a wiki type format for people to annotate for CI?

Did i just imagine it?

[eluser]tmcw[/eluser]
There are really tons of things that the user manual does not document - just a list of all methods and properties would be useful. It's not as core as the other stuff, but I don't understand why there isn't any online documentation like that, since it would take very little time to generate.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
I'm always interested in making the docs better. If you find any undocumented functions, please feel free to simply contact me directly. I'll get them in there right away. Great documentation is a high priority for me, and EllisLab, and for CodeIgniter.

tmcw: could you fire off a few quick examples of some of the stuff not documented?

[eluser]tmcw[/eluser]
Okay, I'll just add them as I go...

For one, I need to know what models are loaded at all times (since my project involved some odd dynamic loading.) this is in $this->load->_ci_models; and it would be nice if the rest of the _variables were documented...

[eluser]tmcw[/eluser]
Also a reference of all globals. For instance, where can I pick up the site root address?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB