Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
YAEPP! yet another email problem post

[eluser]mickmcl[/eluser]
first of all, I'd like to applaud all the codeigniter developers. I started using this framework a few months ago and can't be happier with it. Also, any problem I have ever faced has been resolved by reading through the documentation and forum posts.

I created a "home brew" cms site for a customer (http://scapicchiolaw.com). Last night, I set it live which is hosted on godaddy (not my choice...)

The problem: I can't get the email working now. The only difference between the live site and my development environment on godaddy is the email hosting via google appengine. All the mx records are pointing to the google apps account and the development environment uses a smtp user account.

I followed the instructions for using CI and googleapps from this forum post (to no avail):
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/84689/P0/

Hopefully somebody has had similar issues with email, godaddy and googleapps before and can point out my fatal flaw?

[eluser]bretticus[/eluser]
This doesn't work unless the openssl extension has been loaded. Look at the results of phpinfo() on that server.

For example, on my home computer I have:

openssl
OpenSSL support enabled
OpenSSL Version OpenSSL 0.9.7i 14 Oct 2005

You may have to talk to godaddy support or do some more googling if it is missing.

Cheers!

[eluser]mickmcl[/eluser]
that's what I thought as well, however openssl is enabled "OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006".

/shrug... for now, I am using another one of our domain's email address, user & pass in the customers contact form. I don't like it but it will suffice for the time being until I can get it working properly.

I have a feeling changing all the mx records on the customers domain to point to google has a big part in this. I did leave the smtp cname, but to be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm doing with all that stuff... I usually stick with the desktop apps Wink I think with a lot more reading and some tinkering around I can get it working. Any more suggestions are indeed appreciated!

[eluser]bretticus[/eluser]
So, you're sending mail as a google app user then? If it's a matter just sending mail to an smtp server, why not use the godaddy account? Not sure if it's extra but they should as least allow you to send email where you have a hosting account. Besides, after a quick google, someone with this issue had to use godaddy's smtp service because apparently they block the port necessary for communicating with google mail (I hate godaddy!)

http://help.godaddy.com/article/3552

In fact, for web hosting accounts using scripting it appears you need to set your smpt server to relay-hosting.secureserver.net w/o authentication nor ssl.

[eluser]mickmcl[/eluser]
Yes, I saw that article as well. But as I mentioned earlier, I already changed all the mx records in the customers account to point to google. After that, the single email address I previously created went from an "active" status to "Pending setup: Validating MX record". Apparently it will stay at this status if the mx records don't match the "correct" settings... I guess the "correct" settings are godaddy mx records.

So, I don't have a valid email address on that domain I can use to setup the # of smtp relays per day Sad

On a side note, I think I need to get the guy I'm building these cms sites for to change hosting providers for his future customers. Godaddy has indeed been a hassle, not to mention ssh/scp wasn't installed correctly and they are still "working" on it. Until then, I'm stuck editing files locally and using ftp.

The nice part about godaddy is allowing us direct database access (the cms admin section is a java desktop app that can manage multiple websites). So each website will pull its data from a centralized database as opposed to having a copy of the database for their domain. I will need to find another hosting company that allows db access the same way.

Thanks again for your time and suggestions!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB