Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Code Igniter License Clarification WRT EE EULA now that 2.0 is "on top of" CI

[eluser]sophistry[/eluser]
I found this little section in the EE EULA (on this page of the EE docs):

Quote:Software Modification

You may alter, modify, or extend the Software for your own use, or commission a third-party to perform modifications for you, but you may not resell, redistribute or transfer the modified or derivative version without prior written consent from EllisLab, Inc. <strong>Components from the Software may not be extracted and used in other programs without prior written consent from EllisLab, Inc.</strong>

from my reading, CI is a "Component" of EE and it could be confusing to have these terms "trickle down" to CI.

I know they are separate downloads with different licenses and no CI developer is going to try to pull out libraries from EE to use in CI (except maybe the new javascript/jquery lib). If a CI programmer wanted to make something in CI with the EE version of the JS lib, then, by my reading, it would be a breach of the EULA.

Unless, of course, that CI programmer got "prior written consent"....

Does anyone at EllisLab want to give prior written consent to use the new javascript library out of the EE context?

[eluser]richthegeek[/eluser]
Probably EL will release the new JS/JQ lib as part of the CI2.0 release (probably synchronous with the EE2 release) so probably won't be an issue. At any rate, if EL have done something revolutionary then it won't be long until someone writes a plugin for JQ to do it for you.

[eluser]sophistry[/eluser]
no telling when CI2.0 is coming - my prediction is that it is several seasons away.

in the meantime it would be nice to be able to use the new JS lib that is destined to be released with CI anyway (if i am reading the file hierarchy properly).

so, that's why i am asking for "written consent" before i start using that lib.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Yeah. Several seasons away is probably over-stating, but heck, I won't be giving estimates after my EE2 experience Smile

Send an email to [email protected] - they'll be able to definitively provide you what you need (I'm not able to). CC me when you send it if you don't mind, and just reference that you're a long time CI member with 1000+ posts.

[eluser]johnwbaxter[/eluser]
Couldn't you errrr use the jquery lib from another php framework that starts with "z" and ends in "end"?

Just a thought of course!!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB