Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Using javascript-library from CI2.0

[eluser]Johan André[/eluser]
Hey!

I bought Expression Engine and poked around the code.
I found the new javascript library and played around with it.
Even though I did'nt like the idea when I first heard about it, I must admit
that it's VERY cool for several reasons.

So my question is:
Is it ok to use it in apps even though CI2.0 (or whatever the version will be) is released to public yet?

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
If you take libraries from EE2 and use them in CodeIgniter, although they may well work it is probably breaking some sort of licensing rules.

Official answer guys?

And don't call this CI2.0 dude, it is not. You are just using some ExpressionEngine 2.0 libraries in your CodeIgniter 1.7.x app. Tongue

[eluser]Johan André[/eluser]
[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1261586561"]
And don't call this CI2.0 dude, it is not. You are just using some ExpressionEngine 2.0 libraries in your CodeIgniter 1.7.x app. Tongue[/quote]

Actually not. The libraries are part of the CI core not the EE-core. So if I use it I'll be using a CI-library not yet released officially. Ofcourse the version can be debated. In some files it says 2.0...

Did you check it out?
The free beta trial can be downloaded. The EE-specific code is encoded with Zend but the CI-core is browsable.

Yeah I've had a look. Didn't you look at my CodeIgniter "2.0" article?

[eluser]SpooF[/eluser]
Is it in the SVN?

Nope, that's why I do not consider it part of CodeIgniter (just yet). Right now EE 2.0 runs on a heavily extended copy of CodeIgniter with a few extra libraries bundled into the system folder which will probably someday be in an official release.

Until it's in the SVN and tagged, it doesn't count as CodeIgniter 2.0.

[eluser]Developer13[/eluser]
I must admit that I'm grumpy in the mornings... so here's one of my morning grumbles.

[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1261590171"]Yeah I've had a look. Didn't you look at my CodeIgniter "2.0" article?[/quote]

Actually your article doesn't come anywhere close to showing that you've "had a look". It shows you've talked with people and have collected some information.

[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1261590171"]Until it’s in the SVN and tagged, it doesn’t count as CodeIgniter 2.0.[/quote]

I think a more correct statement would be that *you* don't count it as CI 2.0. I understand where you're coming from with that statement, but you're no official spokesperson...

Actually that article came from me pouring over the source-code of EE2 private BETA, talking to EllisLab guys and general finding out some information. I have been over the source of ExpressionEngine 2.0 in some crazy detail looking for new signs of "CodeIgniter 2.0" and there is no real sign of this other than a few docblocks containing 2.0 as the version number.

Even if the JavaScript library and its jQuery "driver" made it into the SVN tomorrow, would that mean it was CodeIgniter 2.0? No, it would be 1.7.2 with a JavaScript library.

My problem with calling it 2.0 is that if you start doing that the forums will be rammed once again with idiots going on about all the ridiculous, out of scope and un-planned "OMG I WANTZ YOUTUBE" comments that I am freaking tired of reading through.

[quote author="Developer13" date="1261600328"]Actually your article doesn't come anywhere close to showing that you've "had a look". It shows you've talked with people and have collected some information.[/quote]

I re-read the article and you are right. I entirely forgot I removed some parts of the article as I didn't want to break the NDA, especially after Ellis were kind enough to sneak me into the BETA a little late.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="Phil Sturgeon" date="1261602896"]"OMG I WANTZ YOUTUBE"[/quote]
I can haz youtubes?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB